This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Prediction of Automotive Windshield Defrost Pattern
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this investigation, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) is used to numerically simulate vehicle defroster performance. The general-purpose CFD package FLUENT/UNS is used to perform the numerical simulation. It is difficult to accurately model the actual flow and conjugate heat transfer phenomena in the vicinity of the windshield because of the complexity of the geometry and flow conditions, including the correct turbulence model. The objectives of this study are to quantify the velocity field in the vicinity of the windshield due to defroster jet flow, predict the windshield defrost pattern, and validate the use of CFD simulation in the engineering design and development process. This paper identifies the computational methodology and presents the simulation results. It also contains the hot-wire validation measurements for the velocity field as well as the cold room testing of the defroster performance.
CitationAbdulNour, B., "CFD Prediction of Automotive Windshield Defrost Pattern," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1203, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1203.
- AbdulNour, B. S. Foss, J. F. 1997 “Computational and Experimental Predictions of Automotive Windshield Flow” Proceedings of the ASME Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting , ASME Paper No. FEDSM97-3022
- Nasr, K. J. AbdulNour, B. S. Wiklund, G. C. 1998 “State of Knowledge and Current Challenges in Defrosting Automotive Windshields” Automotive Climate Control , SAE Publication SP-1347, SAE Paper No. 980293 97 104
- AbdulNour, B. S. 1998 “Numerical Simulation of Vehicle Defroster Flow Field” Automotive Climate Control , SAE Publication SP-1347, SAE Paper No. 980285 9 14
- Brewster, R. A. Frink, S. Werner, F. 1997 “Computational Analysis of Automotive Windshield De-Icing with Comparison to Test Data” Vehicle Thermal Management Systems Conference Proceedings , SAE Publication P-314, SAE Paper No. 971833 469 483
- Lee, J.-G. Jiang, Y. Przekwas, A. J. Sioshansi, M. 1994 “Validation of Computational Vehicle Windshield De-Icing Process” SAE Paper No. 940600
- Lee, J.-G. Jiang, Y. Przekwas, A. J. Sioshansi, M. 1993 “Automotive Windshield Ice-Clearing Analysis” SAE Paper No. 930289
- AbdulNour, B. S. 1997 “Hot-Wire Velocity Measurements of Defroster and Windshield Flow” Automotive Climate Control Design Elements , SAE Publication SP-1239, SAE Paper No. 970109 29 36