This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Refrigerant Expansion Noise Propagation Through Downstream Tube Walls
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Reductions of noise in vehicle passenger compartments in recent years have made some previously undetectable noises audible. Expansion devices used in automobile air conditioning systems are known producers of noise. The fact that these devices are mounted very close to the passengers increases the problems associated with the reduction of this noise. The understanding of the propagation mechanisms from the noise generated in the refrigerant by the expansion device, through the tube and evaporator walls, and finally to the outside air is important. This paper will focus on how noise from expansion devices is transmitted through tube walls downstream of the expansion valve.
|Technical Paper||Noise Generation from Expansion Devices in Refrigerant|
|Technical Paper||Practical Noise and Vibration Optimization of HVAC Systems|
|Technical Paper||e-Thermal: Automobile Air-Conditioning Module|
CitationRodarte, E., Singh, G., Miller, N., and Hrnjak, P., "Refrigerant Expansion Noise Propagation Through Downstream Tube Walls," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1197, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1197.
- Rodarte E. Miller N.R. Hrnjak P. “Acoustic Resonance in Plate Heat Exchangers” International Journal of Refrigeration
- Rodarte E. Miller N.R. Hrnjak P. “Use of Stereolithography as a Design Tool for Developing Quiet Plate Mobile Air Conditioning Evaporators” Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI Feb 23-26 1998
- Rodarte E Singh G. Miller N.R. Hrnjak P. “Noise Generation from Expansion Devices in Refrigerant” Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI March 1999
- Norton M.P. “Fundamentals of Noise and Vibration Analysis for Engineers, Chapter 7” Cambridge University Press 1989
- Leissa A.W. “Vibrations of Shells” Ohio State University 1973
- Blevins R.D. “Formulas for Natural Frequency and Mode Shape” Van Nostrand Reinhold New York 1979
- Norton M.P. Bull M.K. “Mechanisms of the Generation of External Acoustic Radiation from Pipes due to Internal Flow Disturbances” Journal of Sound and Vibration 94 1 105 146 1984
- Rennison D.C. Bull M.K. “On the Modal Density and Damping of Cylindrical Pipes” Journal of Sound and Vibration 1977 54 1 39 53
- Kuhn G.F. Morfey C.L. “Transmission of Low-Frequency Internal Sound Through Pipe Walls” Journal of sound and vibration 1976 147 161