This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spark Advance Control Using the Ion Current and Neural Soft Sensors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two spark advance control systems are outlined; both based on feedback from nonlinear neural network soft sensors and ion current detection. One uses an estimate on the location of the pressure peak and the other uses an estimate of the location of the center of combustion. Both quantities are estimated from the ion current signal using neural networks. The estimates are correct within roughly two crank angle degrees when evaluated on a cycle to cycle basis, and roughly within one crank angle degree when the quantities are averaged over consecutive cycles.
The pressure peak detection based control system is demonstrated on a SAAB 9000 car, equipped with a 2.3 liter low-pressure turbo charged engine, during normal highway driving.
CitationHellring, M., Munther, T., Rögnvaldsson, T., Wickström, N. et al., "Spark Advance Control Using the Ion Current and Neural Soft Sensors," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1162, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1162.
Electronic Engine Controls 1999: Neural Networks, Diagnostic and Electronic Hardware, and Controls
Number: SP-1419; Published: 1999-03-01
Number: SP-1419; Published: 1999-03-01
- Hubbard M. Dobson P. D. Powell J. D. “Closed loop control of spark advance using a cylinder pressure sensor” Transactions of the ASME: Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurements, and Control 414 420 December 1976
- von Garssen H.-G. Mágori V. “A model-based sensor for the adaptation of internal combustion” Sensors and Actuators A 41-42 207 211 1994
- Müller R. Hemberger H.-H. Baier K.-H. “Engine control- using neural networks: A new method in engine management- systems” Meccanica 32 423 430 1997
- Eriksson L. Nielssen L. Nytomt J. “Ignition control by ionization current interpretation” Technical paper SAE 960045 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1996
- Eriksson L. “A real-time platform for closed-loop spark advance control” Technical report LiTH-R-1938 Department of Electrical Engineering, Linköping University Linköping, Sweden 1997
- Eriksson L. Nielssen L. Glavenius M. “Closed loop ignition control by ionization current interpretation” Technical paper SAE 970854 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1997
- Daniels C. F. “The comparison of mass fraction burned obtained from the cylinder pressure signal and spark plug ion signal” Technical paper SAE 980140 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1998
- Wickström N. Taveniku M. Linde A. Larsson M. Svensson B. “Estimating pressure peak position and air-fuel ratio using the ionization current and artificial neural networks” Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC'97) Boston November 9-12 1997
- Wickström N. Linde A. Larsson M. Svensson B. “Neural virtual sensors - estimation of combustion quality in SI engines using the spark plug” Proceedings of the International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (ICANN 98) September 2-4 Springer-Verlag 1998
- Saitzkoff A. Reinmann R. Berglind T. Glavmo M. “An ionization equilibrium analysis of the spark plug as an ionization- sensor” Technical paper SAE 960337 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1996
- Saitzkoff A. Reinmann R. Mauss F. Glavmo M. “In-cylinder pressure measurements using the spark plug as an ionization sensor” Technical paper SAE 970857 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1997
- Reinmann R. Saitzkoff A. Lassesson B. Strandh P. “Fuel and additive influence on the ion current” Technical paper SAE 980161 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1998
- Johnson R. Wichern D. Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis 4:th Prentice-Hall 1998
- Haykin S. Neural Networks - A Comprehensive Foundation IEEE Press Piscathaway, NJ 1994
- Riedmiller M. Braun H. “A direct adaptive method for faster backpropagation learning: The RPROP algorithm” Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks San Francisco, CA March 28 April 1 1993
- Sarle W.S. “Stopped training and other remedies for over-fitting” Proceedings of the 27:th Symposium on the Interface of Computing Science and Statistics 1995
- Heywood J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Pi H. Peterson C. “Finding the embedding dimension and variable dependencies in time series” Neural Computation 6 509 520 1994