This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement and Analysis of Human Thigh and Buttocks Contours for ASPECT Manikin Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To provide contours for the new ASPECT manikin, the contours of the thighs and buttocks of mid-size male subjects were measured using a specially built chair. The subjects' body surfaces that were not in contact with the chair and their postures were measured using a video-based position measurement system. Using computer aided design methods, the measured contours were splined and sectioned relative to the local anatomical coordinates for each subject. These local sections were combined and analyzed, with comparison to SAE J826 manikin contours, to provide a thigh and buttocks contour for the ASPECT manikin that represent the mid-size male.
CitationSetyabudhy, R., Liu, Z., and Hubbard, R., "Measurement and Analysis of Human Thigh and Buttocks Contours for ASPECT Manikin Development," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0964, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0964.
- “Devices for the Use in Defining and Measuring Vehicle Seating Accommodations,” Soc. of Auto. Engin. 1962
- Setyabudhy, R. Ali A. Hubbard R. Beckett C. Averill R. “Measuring and Modeling of Human Soft Tissue and Seat Interaction,” paper 970593, Soc. of Auto. Engin. 1997
- Hubbard, R. Gedraitis C. Initial Measurements and Interpretations of Seat Factors for the ASPECT Program,” paper 990964, Soc. of Auto. Engin. 1999
- Gedraitis M. “Experimental Determination of a Spinal Linkage Model for the Seat Human Torso,” Dept. of Mat. Sci. and Mech., Mich. St. Univ. 1997
- Robbins, D. “Volume 2: Anthropometric Specifications for Mid-Sized Male Dummy” U.S. Dept. of Transport. NHTSA 1983
- Reed, M. Roe, R. Schneider L. “Design and Development of the ASPECT Manikin,” paper 990963, Soc. of Auto. Engin. 1999