This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Multi-Zone Model for Diesel Spray Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A quasi-dimensional multi-zone model for diesel spray combustion has been developed. The model contains most of the physical processes of diesel spray combustion, and is simplified and economical.
The zone formation is based on the fuel injection parameters. For the wall jet penetration velocity, a new equation is used based on the effect of the impinging free jet on the wall jet. For the fuel evaporation, an approximate solution of the instantaneous variations of droplet diameter is given in the simple algebraic equations based on the individual effect of the evaporation and the heat transfer from ambient gas. The soot emission sub-model calculates the soot concentration.
This model has been applied for a direct injection diesel engine. The calculated results have shown a reasonable agreement with the experimental results. A parametric study has been carried out.
CitationBi, X., Yang, M., Han, S., and Ma, Z., "A Multi-Zone Model for Diesel Spray Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0916, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0916.
- Bi X Han S etal. “A Multi-Zone Model for Prediction of DI Diesel Engine Combustion and Soot Emission” SAE Paper 941900
- Chiu W S Shahed S M Lyn W T “A Transient Spray Mixing Model for Diesel Combustion” SAE Paper 760128
- Hiroyasu H Kadota T Arai M “Development and Use of a Spray Combustion Modeling to Predict Diesel Engine Efficiency and Pollutant Emissions” Bulletin of the JSME 26 214 1983
- Arai M Tabata M Hiroyasu H Shimizu M “Disintegrating Process and Spray Characterization of Fuel Jet Injected by a Diesel Nozzle” SAE Paper 840275
- Donaldson C D Shedcker R S A “A Study of Free Jet Impingement” J. of Fluid Mech. 1971 45
- Bi X Han S Zhang G “A Simple Model for Diesel Spray Impingement on a Flat Wall” Proceedings on International Conference on Internal Comustion Engines 1997 Wuhan, China
- Katsura N Saito M etal. “Characteristics of a Diesel Spray Impinging on a Flat Wall” SAE Paper 890264
- Kuniyoshi H Yamamoto H etal. “Investigation of the Characteristics of Diesel Fuel Spray” J. Marine Energ. Society of Japan 1980 15 11
- Hardenberg H O Hase F W “Empirical Formula for Computing the Pressure Rise Delay of a Fuel from its Cetane Number and from the Relevant Parameters of Direct-Injection Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 790493
- Nishida K Hiroyasu H “Simplified Three-Dimensional Modelling of Mixture Formation and Combustion in a DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 890269