This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Steering System Characteristics on Control Performance from the Viewpoint of Steer-by-Wire System Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper deals with the steering system with conventional round steering-wheel from the view point of Steer-by-Wire system design. Steering gear ratio and control force characteristics are selected as interface variables of the steering system. The concept of ideal steering gear ratio which is derived on the basis of mapping of steering wheel angle and vehicle path angle is proposed to determine steering gear ratio. Simulator experiments are conducted to investigate the effects of interface variables on system and driver’s control performance. Validity of proposed ideal steering gear ratio would be confirmed. Candidates for objective task performance measure to define desirable control force characteristics would be determined from the test results.
CitationTajima, J., Yuhara, N., Sano, S., and Takimoto, S., "Effects of Steering System Characteristics on Control Performance from the Viewpoint of Steer-by-Wire System Design," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0821, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0821.
- Segel, L. An Investigation of Automobile Handling as Implemented by a Variable Steering Automobile Human Factor 6 4 333 341 1964
- Segel, L. On the lateral stability and Control of the Automobile as Influenced by the Dynamics of the Steering System ASME Paper No. 65-WA/MD-2 1965
- Weir, D.H. MacRuer D.T. Measurement and Interpretation of Driver Steering Behavior and Performance SAE Automobile Engineering Congress and Exposition Detroit Paper No. 730098 1973
- Good, M.C. Effects of Free-Control Variables on Automobile Handling Vehicle System Dynamics 8 253 285 1979
- Friedrich, O.J. Driver-Vehicle Interaction with Respect to Steering Controllability SAE Technical Paper Series 790740 1980
- Tajima J. Yuhara N. Takimoto S. Kawai T. Shimizu Y. Research on Effect of Steering Characteristics on Control Performance of Driver-Vehicle System from a Viewpoint of Steer-by-Wire System Design Proc. of 4th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control Nagoya, Japan Paper No. 9837238 1998
- Bakker, E. Pacejka, H.B Lidner, L. A New Tire Model with an Application in Vehicle Dynamics Studies SAE Paper 890087
- Yuhara N. Horiuchi S. Experimental Study on Matching between Characteristics of Control-Manipulator System and Controlled Element Dynamics (Part A) Trans. Japan Soc. Aero. Space Sci. 33 101 85 98 1990
- Seidel, R.C. Transfer Function Parameter Estimation from Frequency Response Data - A FORTRAN Frogram NASA-TMX-3286 1976
- Weir, D.H. Bourne, S.M. An Overview of the DRI Driving Simulator SAE Technical Paper Series 950173 1995
- Unpublished Results from the Dynamic Research, Inc. Driving Simulator 1998
- Weir, D.H. Dimacro, R.J. Correlation and Evaluation of Driver/Vehicle Directional Handling Data SAE Technical Paper Series 780010 1978
- MacRuer, D.T. Krendel, E.S. Mathematical Models of Human Pilot Behavior AGARD-AG-188 1974
- Segel, L. An Investigation of Automobile Handling as Implemented by a Variable Steering Automobile Human Factors 6 333 341 1964
- Repa, B.S. Alexandridis, A.A. Howell, L.J. Wierwille, W.W. The Influence of Vehicle Control Dynamics on Driver-Vehicle Performance Proc. 5th VSD-2nd IUTAM Symposium on The Dynamics of Vehicle on Roads and Tracks Vienna 320 333 Swets&Zeitlingen, Amsterdam