This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Valve-Cam Ramps on Valve Train Dynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Testing of an OHC valve train with hydraulic lash adjuster in which the valve displacements, velocities and accelerations were measured and analyzed in both time and frequency domains, coupled with analysis of the frequency content of the valve acceleration function and its ramps, show that traditional designs of the opening and closing ramps used on some IC engine valve cams can exacerbate vibration in the follower system causing higher levels of spring surge and noise. Suggestions are made for improvement to the design of the beginning and ending transitions of valve motion which can potentially reduce dynamic oscillation and vibration in the follower train.
|Technical Paper||Pushrod Modeling and Valvetrain Dynamics of High Speed IC Engines|
|Technical Paper||Design and Development of the Valve Train for a Racing Motorcycle Engine|
|Technical Paper||Cam Design as Related to Valve Train Dynamics|
CitationNorton, R., Eovaldi, D., Westbrook, J., and Stene, R., "Effect of Valve-Cam Ramps on Valve Train Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0801, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0801.
- Hollingworth, P. Hodges R. A. 1991 “The History and Mathematical Development of Cam Profile Design in Rover.” SAE Paper: 914172
- Kanesaka, H. Akiba K. 1977 “A New Method of Valve Cam Design - HYSDYNE Cam.” SAE Paper: 770777
- Kreuter, P. Mass G. 1987 “Influence of Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjusters on the Dynamic Behavior of Valve Trains.” SAE Paper: 870086
- Phlips, P. J. et al. 1989 “An Efficient Model for Valve train and Spring Dynamics.” SAE Paper: 890619
- Herrin, R. J. 1982 “Measurement of Engine Valve Train Compliance under Dynamic Conditions.” SAE Paper: 820768
- Bakonyi, S. M. 1968 “The Advantages of Overhead Camshafts-What Are They?” SAE Paper: 680028
- Norton, R.L. 1992 Design of Machinery McGraw-Hill New York 306 356 2nd 1999
- Norton, R. L. 1988 “Effect of Manufacturing Method on Dynamic Performance of Cams - Part I.” Mechanism and Machine Theory 23 3 191 200 201 208
- Norton, R. L. et al. 1988 “Analysis of the Effect of Manufacturing Methods and Heat Treatment on the Performance of Double Dwell Cams.” Mechanism and Machine Theory 23 6 461 473
- Norton, R.L. Eovaldi D. Westbrook J. III Stene R. L. “Analyzing Vibrations in an IC Engine Valve Train,” SAE Paper # 980570
- Norton, R.L. 1992 Design of Machinery McGraw-Hill New York 300 351 2nd 1999
- Norton, R.L. 1992 Design of Machinery McGraw-Hill New York 314 364 2nd 1999