This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development of a BMW Catalyst Concept for LEV/EU3 Legislation for a 8 Cylinder Engine by Using Thin Wall Ceramic Substrates
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For the BMW V8 engine, a new LEV/EU3 emission concept has been developed by improvements to the previous engine management and secondary air supply and a complete new exhaust system. Beside the emission limits, also high engine output targets and high operating reliability were targeted. In addition the new exhaust system had to meet low cost targets. Based on these requirements an exhaust concept with separate pre catalyst and main catalyst was chosen. To reduce the heat mass and to optimize the pressure drop, 4.3mil/400cpsi thin wall ceramic substrates were used for the pre and main catalyst.
CitationEhmann, P., Rippert, N., Umehara, K., and Vogt, C., "The Development of a BMW Catalyst Concept for LEV/EU3 Legislation for a 8 Cylinder Engine by Using Thin Wall Ceramic Substrates," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0767, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0767.
- State of California, Air Resources Board “Proposed California Exhaust Emission Standards and Test Procedures for 1998 and Subsequent Model Passenger Cars, Light Duty Trucks and Medium-Duty Vehicles” HEV Workshop Draft August 1996
- Liebl, J. Tischer, J. Schopp, J. Otto, E. 1998
- Yamamoto H. Kato F. Kitagawa J. Machida M. “Warm-up Characteristics of Thin Wall Honeycomb Catalysts” SAE Paper 910611 1991
- Machida M. Yamada T. Makino M. “Study of Ceramic Catalyst Optimization for Emission Purification Efficiency” SAE Paper 940784 1994
- Hijikata T. Kurachi H. Katsube F. Van Honacker H. “Thermal Reliability and Performance Improvement on Close-Coupled Catalytic Converter” SAE Paper 960565 1996
- Tamura N. Matsumoto S. Kawabata M. Kojima M. Machida M. “The development of Automotive Catalyst with Thin Wall (4mil/400cpsi) Substrate” SAE Paper 960557 1996
- Umehara K. Yamada T. Hijikata T. Ichikawa Y. Katsube F. “Advanced Ceramic Substrate: Catalytic Performance Improvement by High Geometric Surface Area and Low Heat Capacity” SAE Paper 971029 1997
- Otto E. Albrecht F. Liebl J. “The Development of BMW Catalyst Concepts for LEV/ULEV and EU III/IV Legislations 6 Cylinder Engine with Close Coupled Main Catalyst” SAE Paper 980418 1998