This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Modular HMMWV Dynamic Powertrain System Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A dynamic powertrain system model of the High Mobility Multi-Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) was created in the Powertrain Control Research Laboratory (PCRL) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Simulink graphical programming software was used to create the model. This dynamic model includes a Torsen differential model and a Hyrda-matic 4L80-E automatic transmission model as well as several other powertrain component models developed in the PCRL. Several component inertias and shaft stiffnesses are included in the dynamic model. The concepts of modularity, flexibility, and user-friendliness were emphasized during model development so that the system model would be a useful design tool. Simulation results from the model are shown.
CitationRubin, Z. and Moskwa, J., "A Modular HMMWV Dynamic Powertrain System Model," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0740, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0740.
- Beachley, N. H. “Explanation of Torsen Differential.” 1987
- Chen, H. H. Alexandridis, A. A. Chalasani, R. M. “Longitudinal Dynamics and Performance Assessment of All-Wheel-Drive Vehicles.” ASME Advanced Automotive Technologies DE-40 483 499 1991
- Chocholek, S. E. Ferbitz, R. C. “Restrictive Differentials.” SAE Paper No. 720903 1972
- Freeman, J. S. Velinsky, S. A. “Comparison of the Dynamics of Conventional and Worm-Gear Differentials.” ASME Advanced Automotive Technologies DSC-13 249 264 1989
- Freeman, J. S. Velinksy, S. A. “Four-Wheel-Drive Powertrain Models for Real-Time Simulation.” ASME Advanced Automotive Technologies DE-40 175 182 1991
- Hsueh, L.-C. Yan, H.-S. “On the Bias Ratio of Automotive Worm-Gear Differentials.” Int. J. of Vehicle Design 14 2 3 212 225 1993
- Kao, Minghui Moskwa John J. “Turbocharged Diesel Engine Modeling for Nonlinear Engine Control and State Estimation.” Transactions of ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 117 1 11 March 1995
- Moskwa, J. J. Munns, S. A. Rubin, Z. J. “The Development of Vehicular Powertrain System Modeling Methodologies: Philosophy and Implementation.” SAE Paper No. 971089 1997
- Mott, R. L. Machine Elements in Mechanical Design Macmillan 1992
- Munns, Scott A. “Computer Simulation of Powertrain Components with Methodologies for Generalized System Modeling.” University of Wisconsin-Madison 1996
- Orthwein, William Machine Component Design West 1990
- Rubin, Z. J. Moskwa, J. J. Munns, S. A. “Development of the Automotive Research Center (ARC) Powertrain System Dynamic Models.” Proceedings of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference 28-1 Ft. Collins, CO April 1997
- Rubin, Zachary J. “Computer Simulation of the HMMWV Powertrain System.” University of Wisconsin-Madison 1997
- Weeks, R. W. Moskwa, J. J. “Automotive Engine Modeling for Real-Time Control Using Matlab/Simulink.” SAE Paper No. 950417 1995
- Zhu, Song “A Dynamic Model for Automotive Diesel Engines.” University of Wisconsin-Madison 1991