This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pedestrian Injuries Induced by the Bonnet Leading Edge in Current Car-Pedestrian Accidents
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this research is to clarify the significant factors causing AIS 2+ femur or pelvis pedestrian injury, and to understand whether the current EEVC upper legform test reflects real world pedestrian accidents. An in-depth case study was conducted using the selected 82 pedestrian accident cases from 1987 to 1997 in the data base of Japan Automobile Research Institute (JARI) and Institute for Traffic Accident Research and Data Analysis (ITARDA).
The results indicate the significant factors were the bonnet leading edge height, the vehicle registration year and the pedestrian age. The bumper lead was not a significant factor. However, the test condition of the EEVC upper legform test depends on the bumper lead and the bonnet leading edge height. The current test condition of the EEVC upper legform test should be reconsidered excluding the bumper lead.
CitationMatsui, Y., Ishikawa, H., and Sasaki, A., "Pedestrian Injuries Induced by the Bonnet Leading Edge in Current Car-Pedestrian Accidents," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0713, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0713.
- European Experimental Vehicles Committee Proposals for Methods to Evaluate Pedestrian Protection for Passenger Cars EEVC Working Group 10 Report 1994
- Matsui Y Ishikawa H. Sasaki A. Validation of Pedestrian Upper Legform Impact Test -Reconstruction of Pedestrian Accidents- 16th ESV 1998
- Bruno J. Faverjon G. Coz J. Injury Pattern of Pedestrians Hit by Cars of Recent Design 16th ESV 1998
- The National Police Agency Statistics of Traffic (in Japanese) 1998
- Kajzer J. Schroeder G. Ishikawa H. Matsui Y. Bosh U. Shearing and bending Effects at the Knee Joint at High Speed Lateral Loading 41st STAPP 1997
- IHRA/Pedestrian Safety Experts Meeting, IHRA/PS/26 March 1998
- Institute for Traffic Accident Research and Data Analysis Accident Case Study Report (in Japanese) 1998
- Lawrence G. Hardy B. Harris J. Bonnet Leading Edge Subsystem Test for Cars to Assess Protection for Pedestrians 13th ESV 1991
- Takeuchi K. Bunketorp O. Ishikawa H. Kajzer J. Car-Pedestrian Accidents in Gothenburg during Ten Years IRCOBI 1998