This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Relationships Between Occupant Motion and Seat Characteristics in Low-Speed Rear Impacts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Sled tests were conducted with some seats which had different characteristics to understand the relationships between occupant motion and seat characteristics in lowspeed rear impacts. The position of the head restraint and the stiffness distribution of the seatback were selected as parameters expressing seat characteristics. Volunteer’s cervical vertebral motions were photographed with an x-ray cineradiographic system at a speed of 90 frames/sec as well as the visible motions of dummy’s and volunteer’s were recorded. The results indicated the head restraint position and upper seatback stiffness influenced occupant motions. Correlations between visible motions, such as ramping-up, retraction and extension, were also analyzed and some correlations were found.
CitationWatanabe, Y., Ichikawa, H., Kayama, O., Ono, K. et al., "Relationships Between Occupant Motion and Seat Characteristics in Low-Speed Rear Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0635, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0635.
Number: SP-1432; Published: 1999-03-01
Number: SP-1432; Published: 1999-03-01
- Japan Traffic Safety Association Traffic Greenpaper November 1997 115 118
- Eichberger, A. Geigl, B.C. Moser, A. Fachbach, B. Steffan, H. Comparison of Different Car Seats Regarding Head-Neck Kinematics of Volunteers During Rear End Impact Proceedings of 1996 International IRCOBI conference on the Biomechanics of impact 153 164
- Olsson, I. Bunketorp, O. Carlsson, G. Gustafsson, C. Planath, I. Norin, H. Ysander, L. An in-Depth Study of Neck Injuries in Rear End Collisions Proceedings of 1990 International IRCOBI conference on the Biomechanics of impact 269 280
- Ono, K. Kanno, M. Influences of the Physical Parameters on the Risk to Neck Injuries in Low Impact Speed Rear-end Collisions Proceedings of 1993 International IRCOBI conference on the Biomechanics of impact 201 212
- Song, D. Uriot, J. Trosseille, X. Mack, P. Tarriere, C. Got, C. Domont, A. Modeling and Analysis of Interactions Between Occupant, Seatback and Headrest in Rear Impact Proceedings of 1996 International IRCOBI conference on the Biomechanics of impact 165 185
- Mertz, H.J. Patrick, L.M. Strength and Response of the Human Neck SAE 710855
- Matsushita, T. Sato. T.B. Hirabayashi, K. X-Ray Study of the Human Neck Motion Due to Head Inertia Loading SAE 942208
- Ono, K. Kaneoka, K. Wittek, A. Kajzer, J. Cervical Injury Mechanism Based on the Analysis of Human Cervical Vertebral Motion and Head-Neck-Torso Kinematics During Low Speed Rear Impacts SAE 973340
- Bostrom, O. Svensson, M.Y. Aldman, B. Hansson, H.A. Haland, Y. Lovsund, P. Seeman, T. Suneson, A. Saljo, A. Ortengren, T. A New Neck Injury Criterion Candidate - Based on Injury Findings in the Cervical Spinal Ganglia after Experimental Neck Extension Trauma Proceedings of 1996 International IRCOBI conference on the Biomechanics of impact 123 136
- Svensson, M.Y. Aldman, B. Hansson, H.A. Lovsund, P. Seeman, T. Suneson, A. Ortengren, T. Pressure Effects in the Spinal Canal during Whiplash Extension Motion; A Possible Cause of Injury to the Cervical Spinal Ganglia Proceedings of 1993 International IRCOBI conference on the Biomechanics of impact 189 200
- Yoganandan, N. Pintar, F.A. Cusick, J.F. Kleinberger, M. Head-Neck Biomechnics in Simulated Rear Impact 42 nd annual proceedings Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 209 231
- Yang, K.H. Begeman, P.C. Muser, M. Niederer, P. Walz, F. On the Role of Cervical Facet Joints in Rear End Impact Neck Injury Mechanisms SAE 970497
- Thunnissen, J.G.M. van Ratingen, M.R. Beusenberg, M.C. Janssen, E.G. A Dummy Neck for Low Severity Rear Impacts 15th ESV Conference 1996