This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
“Nucleate Boiling Investigations and the Effects of Surface Roughness”
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The findings presented in this paper are part of a long term project aimed at raising the science of heat transfer in internal combustion engine cooling galleries. Initial work has been undertaken by the authors and an experimental facility is able to simulate different sizes of coolant passages. External heat is applied and data for the forced convective, nucleate boiling and transition or critical heat flux (CHF) regimes has been obtained.
The results highlighted in this paper attempt to quantify the effects of cooling passage surface roughness on the nucleate boiling regime. Tests have been conducted using aluminium test pieces with surface finishes described as smooth, intermediate and as-cast. It has been found that the as-cast surface increases the heat flux density in the nucleate boiling region over that of the smooth and intermediate surfaces.
- N. A. F. Campbell - Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, United Kingdom
- J. G. Hawley - Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, United Kingdom
- M. J. Leathard - Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, United Kingdom
- R. W. Horrocks - FORD Motor Co. Ltd., Dunton, Essex, United Kingdom
- L. Wong - FORD Motor Co. Ltd., Dunton, Essex, United Kingdom
CitationCampbell, N., Hawley, J., Leathard, M., Horrocks, R. et al., "“Nucleate Boiling Investigations and the Effects of Surface Roughness”," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0577, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0577.
- Campbell NAF Charlton SJ Wong L “Designing towards nucleate boiling in combustion engines.” IMechE 587 595 9-12 May 1995
- Campbell NAF Tilley DG MacGregor SA Wong L “Incorporating nucleate boiling in a precision cooling strategy for combustion engines.” SAE 971791 1997
- Robinson K Campbell NAF Hawley JG Tilley DG “A review of precision engine cooling” SAE 99HX-7
- Couetoux H Gentile D “Cooling system control in automotive engines.” New Engine Design and Cooling Systems SAE 920788 1992
- Berenson PJ “Experiments on pool boiling heat transfer.” Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer 5 985 999 1962
- Bier K Gorenflo D Salem M Tanes Y “Pool boiling heat transfer and size of active nucleation centres for horizontal plates with different surface roughness.” Proc. 6th Int. Heat Transfer Conference Toronto, Canada 1 151 156 1978
- Nishikawa K Fujita Y Ohta H Hidaka S “Effect of the surface roughness on the nucleate boiling heat transfer over the wide range of pressure.” Proc. 7th Int. Heat Transfer Conference Munich, Germany 4 61 66 1982
- Collier JG Thome JR “Convective boiling and condensation.” Clarendon Press Oxford 1994
- Thomas TR “Rough surfaces.” Longmann, London 1982
- Bernardin JD Mudawar I “Experimental and statistical investigation of changes in surface roughness associated with spray quenching.” Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer 39 10 2023 2037 1996
- Incropera FP DeWitt DP “Fundamentals of heat transfer.” Wiley 1990
- French CCJ “Taking the heat off the highly boosted diesel.” SAE 690463 1969
- Smith LWL Angus HT Lamb AD “Cracking in cast iron diesel engine cylinder heads.” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 185 58 71 807 823 1970-71
- Finlay IC Harris D Boam DJ Parks BI “Factors influencing combustion chamber wall temperatures in a liquid-cooled, automotive, spark-ignition engine.” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Transport Engineering 1985 199 3 207 214
- Finlay IC Gallacher GR Biddulph TW Marshall RA “The application of precision cooling to the cylinder head of a small automotive petrol engine.” SAE 880263 1988
- Cipolla G “Heat transfer correlations applicable to the analysis of IC engine head cooling.” Proceedings of the International Centre for Heat and Mass Transfer 1989 373 396
- Finlay IC Boyle RJ Pirault JP Biddulph T “Nucleate and film boiling of engine coolants flowing in a uniformly heated duct of small cross section.” SAE 870032 1987
- Holman. JP “Experimental methods for engineers” McGraw-Hill 1994