This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Engine for Natural Gas Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Toyota Motor Corporation has developed a dedicated compressed natural gas (CNG) powered vehicle “Camry” sedan to achieve near zero emissions and to meet rising demand for alternative fuel. A new engine that uses CNG as fuel has been developed by modifying the base 2.2 liter gasoline engine. In the unmodified base engine, torque and power for CNG decrease compared to gasoline. The new engine has adopted a high compression ratio, intake valves with early closed timing, intake and exhaust valves with increased lift and a low back pressure muffler, which thereby restored the loss of engine power. In order to greatly reduce exhaust emissions, a multi port injection system was chosen, and the injectors and pressure regulator have been newly developed. At the same time, precise A/F ratio control and special catalysts for CNG exhaust gas have been utilized. The resulting CNG engine output power has been restored to nearly that of the gasoline base engine, and it was found that CNG system has the possibility to meet the California SULEV exhaust emission standards which were adopted in November 1998.
CitationKato, K., Igarashi, K., Masuda, M., Otsubo, K. et al., "Development of Engine for Natural Gas Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0574, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0574.
- Gas Research Institute “Light Duty Vehicle Full Fuel Cycle Emissions Analysis” Gas Research Institute 1994
- Kinbara Yoshiro Ichimiya Touru Kan Masatake Katsumata Shouji Kondo Shunichi “Development of Toyota Electronically Controlled CNG Vehicles” Gaseous Fuel for Transportion I Canada 1986
- Lapetz John Beitler Jim Fulton Brien LeRoux Mark Locke Jay Peters Edwards Roman Lawrence Walsh Robert, Wolff William “Ford's 1996 Crown Victoria Dedicated Natural Gas Vehicle” SAE Paper No. 952743 1995
- Suga Toshiyuki Knight Ben Arai Sakuji “Near Zero Emissions Natural Gas Vehicle, Honda Civic GX” SAE Paper No. 972643 1997
- Nasu Masahiro ohata Akira Abe Shinichi “Model Based Fuel Injection Control System For SI Engines” SAE Paper No. 961188 1996