This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Water Injection Effects In A Single-Cylinder CFR Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Though analysed by a few researches, the practice of water injection in Spark Ignition Engines (SI-ICE) does not yield homogeneous results, owing to various typologies of engines used for experiments.
In this paper the effects of water injection in the intake pipe are investigated from both a theoretical and experimental viewpoint. Pressure vs. time diagrams were recorded on a single-cylinder CFR engine at AGIP PETROLI, Priolo (CT).
Tests were performed according to Research and Motor Method (ASTM). Water was supplied by a continuous injection system inclusive of comparatively high pressure pump. The engine was fed with low O.N. base gasoline (cheap products, intermediate of refinery processes). The water to fuel mass flow rate ratio was varied in the range 0 to 1.5.
The NOx emissions measurements confirm the tremendous effectiveness of water injection in reducing the engine environmental impact.
Test data have been used to implement a detonation model that allows to predict water injection effects.
Results have shown that water injection really represents a new way to avoid detonation, to reduce compression work and to control NOx formation in SI engines.
CitationLanzafame, R., "Water Injection Effects In A Single-Cylinder CFR Engine," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0568, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0568.
- Rave, M.R. “Water Injection for Aircraft Engines,” Trans.SAE 54 Nov. 1946
- Obert “Detonation and Internal Coolants,” Quart. Trans. SAE Jan. 1948 52 59
- Johnson, R. T. “A Comparison of Gasoline, Methanol and Methanol/Water Blend as Spark Ignition Engine Fuels,” International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology Wolfsburg 1977
- Nicholls, J. E. “Inlet Manifold Water Injection for Control of Nitrogen oxides - Theory and Experiment,” Trans. SAE, paper 690018 1969
- Bignardi, L. et. al. “Products of Combustion of Water in Fuel Emulsion,” 14 th International Congress on Combustion Engine, Paper D-98 Helsinki 1981
- Satpov, E. B. Luksho, B.A. “A Study on the Effect of Water in Fuel on the Performance of SI Engine,” 1982
- Lanzafame R. “Effetto dell'introduzione dell'acqua all'aspirazione, sul comportamento di un MCI ad accensione comandata, nei riguardi della detonazione,” Quaderni dell'Istituto di Macchine Università degli Studi di Catania Marzo 1996
- Lanzafame R. Mancò S. “Effetto dell'iniezione d'acqua sul funzionamento di un MCI ad accensione comandata,” 48° Congresso Nazionale ATI 28 Settembre 1 Ottobre 1993
- Bassi F. Lanzafame R. Risitano A. “Acetylene and water as fuels for spark ignition engine,” 26th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference IECEC '91 Boston Massachusetts August 4-9 1991
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” MC Graw - Hill International
- Taylor C.F. “The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice,” 1 2
- Beccari A. Caputo C. “Motori Termici Volumetrici”
- Ramos J.I. “Internal Combustion Engine Modelling,” Hemisphere Publishing Corporation
- Livengood Wu “Correlation of auto-ignition phenomena in Internal Combustion Engines and Rapid Compression Machine”