This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Research on Fuel Spray and Air Flow Fields for Spark-Ignited Direct Injection using Laser Measurement Technology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The change of spray shape under different ambient pressure and the size distribution of fuel droplets from swirl injector were investigated. And, for the stratified-mixture operation in the vicinity of spark plug, fuel distribution after impingement on piston in motoring engine was examined in the cases of two different injector positions. Also, the influence of intake port geometry and piston top shape on in-cylinder air flow during intake to compression stroke was investigated. This paper concludes that, in tumble-based combustion strategy, locating swirl injector at intake side of cylinder head and making counter-rotating tumble increased in intake port geometry and conserved on bowl piston surface would be very effective for stratified combustion of spark-ignited direct injection engine.
CitationChoi, K., Park, J., Lee, N., Yu, C. et al., "A Research on Fuel Spray and Air Flow Fields for Spark-Ignited Direct Injection using Laser Measurement Technology," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0503, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0503.
- Lake T.H. Stokes J. Whitaker P.A. Crump J.V. “Comparison of Direct Injection Gasoline Combustion Systems” SAE 980154
- Zhao F. Lai M. Harrington D. “A Review of Mixture Preparation and Combustion Control Strategies for Spark Ignited Direct Injection Gasoline Engines” SAE 970627
- Iwamoto Y. Noma K. Nakayama O. Yamauchi T. Ando H. “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine” SAE 970541
- Harada J. Tomita T. Mizuno H. Mashiki Z. Ito Y. “Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE 970540
- Tomita T. Sasaki S. Sawada D. Saito A. Sami H. “Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine -Study of Stratified Mixture Formation” SAE 970539
- Andriesse D. Ferrari A. “Assessment of Stoichiometric GDI Engine Technology” Fiat Research Centre AVL Conference-Engine and Enivironment 1997
- Lake T. H. Sapsford S. M. Stokes J. Jackson N. S. “Simulation and Development Experience of a Stratified Charge Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE 962014
- Salters D. Williams P. Grieg A. Brehob D. “Fuel Spray Characterization within an Optically Accessed Gasoline Direct Injection Engine using a CCD Imaging System” SAE 961149
- McLandress A. Emerson R. McDowell P. Rutland C. “Intake and In-Cylinder Flow Modeling Characterization of Mixing and Comparison with Flow Bench Results” SAE 960635
- Kume T. Iwamoto Y. Iida K. Murakami M. Akishino K. Ando H. “Combustion Control Technologies for Direct Injection SI Engine” SAE 960600
- Fraidl G. K. Piock W. F. Wirth M. “Gasoline Direct Injection; Actual Trends and Future Strategies for Injection and Combustion Systems” SAE 960465
- Reuss D. Kuo T. Khalighi B. Haworth D. Rosalik M. “Particle Image Velocimetry Measurements in a High-Swirl Engine used for Evaluation of Computational Fluid Dynamics Calculation” SAE 952381
- Kuwahara K. Watanabe T. Takemura J. Omori S. Kume T. Ando H. “Optimization of In-Cylinder Flow and Mixing for a Center-Spark Four-Valve Engine Employing the Concept of Barrel Stratification” SAE 940986
- Reuss D. Bardsley M. Felton P. Landreth C. Adrian J. “Velocity, Vorticity and Strain-Rate ahead of a Flame Measured in an Engine using Particle Image Velocimetry” SAE 900053