This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
FMVSS201 “A” Pillar Impact Simulation and Verification Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper is a case study evaluating the ability of an explicit dynamic FEA simulation code, LS-DYNA, to adequately analyze an “A” pillar impact event as described in FMVSS201 . This study evaluates available material models for suitability in representing a polypropylene copolymer resin as the “A” pillar trim material. Verification is accomplished through comparison of simulation results with experimental test results from a pseudo-FMVSS201 test environment.
CitationLorenzo, J., "FMVSS201 “A” Pillar Impact Simulation and Verification Study," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0433, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0433.
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 201U Head Impact Protection August 1995
- Hallquist, J.O. LS-DYNA Theoretical Manual Livermore Software Technology Corporation USA 1994
- Chou, C.C. Barbat, S.D. Liu, N. Li, G.F. Wu, F. Zhao, Y. Additional Notes on Finite Element Models of Deformable Featureless Headform SAE Technical Paper No. 970164 , SAE International 1997
- Hill, S.I. Sjoblom, P. “Practical Considerations in Determining High Strain Rate Material Properties” SAE Technical Paper No. 981136 , SAE International 1998
- Lorenzo, J.M. Evaluation of Constitutive Material Models for Use in Impact Analysis of Automotive Interior Trim Applications 5th International LS-DYNA Users Conference Proceedings 1998