This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Overview of Side Impact Crash Testing Results-Estimating the Differences Between FMVSS 214-D and High Speed Lateral Impact Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper will investigate the differences in results produced between FMVSS 214-D compliance testing and the recently implemented New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) High Speed Lateral Impact (HSLI) testing. NCAP HSLI testing is similar to the Frontal Impact NCAP program in that the tests are conducted with a higher impact velocity and the results are presented primarily for consumer information purpose. Readers of this paper will gain a broader understanding of side impact testing in general, as well as form estimates for expected differences for each test. Issues such as vehicle size, deformation, and occupant responses will be investigated and the results collected from tests on the same vehicle will be compared. The results of this study provide a general “rule of thumb” guideline for estimating HSLI test results from FMVSS 214-D test results. This general guideline provides safety engineers with a reasonable estimate of expected results for the HSLI evaluation.
|Technical Paper||Curtain Airbag Linear Impact Simulation Method for FMVSS 226 and NCAP Side Impact|
|Technical Paper||Frontal Air Bag Deployment in Side Crashes|
|Technical Paper||Side Impact Structural Characterization from FMVSS 214D Test Data|
CitationMiller, P. and Youn, Y., "An Overview of Side Impact Crash Testing Results-Estimating the Differences Between FMVSS 214-D and High Speed Lateral Impact Testing," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0428, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0428.
- Langwieder, K. Baumler, H. Priorities of Real Car Crashes and the Agreement of Real Accidents with Results from Crash Testing 14th International Technical Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Munich, Germany 788 811 1994
- Lundell, B. Edvardsson, M. Johansson, L. Korner, J. Pilhall, S. Sidebag-The Seat-Mounted Side Impact Airbag System International Congress and Exposition SAE Paper # 950878 1995
- Eppinger, R. H. Instrumentation of Human Surrogates for Side Impact“ 40th Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper #962412 29 42 1996
- Rouhana, S. W. Foster, M. E. Lateral Impact-An Analysis of the Statistics in the NCSS 29th Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper #851727 79 98 1985
- Thomas, C. Henry, C. Harteman, F. Patel, A. Claude, G. Injury Pattern and Parameters to Assess Severity for Occupants Involved in Car-to-Car Lateral Impacts 11th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 49 61 1987
- Fildes, B. Vulcan, P. Lane, J. Lenard J. Side Impact Crashes in Australia 14th International Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Munich Germany 906 918 1994
- Otte, D. Deformation Characteristics and Occupant Load Capacity in Lateral Impacts for Nearside Belted Front Car Passengers 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference 185 197 1993
- Code of Federal Regulation Title 49 (Transportation) Chapter V (NHTSA, DOT) Part 571-214D Side Impact Protection
- Pipkorn, B. Influence of the NHTSA and EEVC Side Impact Barrier on Various Dummy Responses: Evaluation by Mathematical Simulations 40th Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper #962415 63 74 1996
- NHTSA Laboratory Test Procedure for Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 214D Side Impact Protection (TP-214D-04) 1995