This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study for Wear and Fatigue of Engine Bearings on Rig Test by Using Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine bearings today are operating under very harsh conditions. Consequently, a wear propagates for a short time and a fatigue sometimes occurs on the bearings. In present study, on the rig test machine, the operating conditions of engine bearing were simulated to reproduce the bearing damage. The bearing wear was measured until the fatigue crack occurred. The bearing wear increased at the edges of the bearing length and the crack also was observed near the edges. The experimental results were compared to the calculated results based on the elastohydrodynamic lubrication (EHL) theory. The correlations between the bearing damage and the bearing performances by the theoretical analysis were investigated.
CitationOkamoto, Y., Kitahara, K., Ushijima, K., Aoyama, S. et al., "A Study for Wear and Fatigue of Engine Bearings on Rig Test by Using Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0287, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0287.
- Ushijima, K. Arai, T. Goto, T. Aoyama, S. “A Study on Engine Bearing Performance Using EHL Analysis and Experimental Analysis” JSAE Review 18 JSAE No.9733602 1997 263 269
- Ushijima, K. Aoyama, S. Kitahara, K. Okamoto, Y. Jones, G. Xu, H. “A Study on Engine Bearing Durability Using EHL Analysis and Experimental Analysis” The 14th Internal combustion engine symposium, Proceeding 1997 331 336
- Oh, K.P. Goenka, P.K. “The Elastohydrodynamic Solution of Journal Bearings under Dynamic Loading” Trans. ASME J. of Tribology 107 1985 389 395
- Mclvor, J.D.C. Fenner, D.N. “Finite Element Analysis of Dynamically Loaded Flexible Journal Bearings: A Fast Newton-Raphson Method” Trans.ASME J. of Tribology 111 1989 597 604
- Okamoto, Y. Hanahashi, M. Katagiri, T. “Theoretical Analysis of Bearing with Considering an Elastic Deformation: The Effects for Bearing Performances on Housing Stiffness and Bearing Length” JSAE No.9833124,Proceeding 983 1998 85 88
- Sakamoto, M. Ogita, Y. Sato, Y. Tanaka, T. “Development of New Aluminum-Zinc-Silicon Bearings for Heavy Load Applications in Uprated Engines” SAE No. 900124 1990
- Xu, H. “Effects of EHD Contacts Upon the Bearing and Housing Behavior” SAE No. 960987 1996