This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Injection Rate Control in Electronic in-line Pump-Valve-Pipe-Injector Diesel Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Injection rate control is considered as an effective way to optimize diesel combustion process, decrease emission and improve fuel economy. There are many injection rate shaping devices, but most of them still suffer from structure complexity and parameter sensitivity which limit their effectiveness and practicality.
A new initial injection rate control method in solenoid-controlled diesel injection systems is introduced in this paper. The basic idea of this method is to maintain a small spill passage between plunger chamber and inlet port during initial injection period. The initial injection rate can be regulated by changing the closing timing of the solenoid-controlled spill valve. This method has the advantages of simple construction, flexible adjustment and stable performance. Computer aided analysis and design based on a simulation program of the system is conducted to compare and select the sizes of the small spill passage according to their effect on injection characteristics. The experimental research at a special pump test rig is carried out. The test results indicate that this method is effective on the control of initial injection rate in time-based electronic diesel injection system.
CitationDu, C., Minggao, Y., Wu, J., Wang, X. et al., "Injection Rate Control in Electronic in-line Pump-Valve-Pipe-Injector Diesel Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0201, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0201.
- Durnholz M, Endres H, Frisse P. Preinjection a measure to optimize the emission behavior of DI-diesel engine. SAE paper 940674
- Sato T, Yamada M, Kawagoe M, et al. Development of a mechanical pilot injection device for automotive diesel engine. SAE paper 891962
- Russell M F, Young C D, Nicol S W. Modulation of injection rate to improve direct injection diesel engine noise. SAE paper 900349
- Dolenc A. The injection equipment of future high-speed DI diesel engines with respect to power and pollution requirements. I.Mech.E. 1990
- Ishiwata H, Ohishi T, Ryuzaki K, et al. A feasibility study of pilot injection in TICS. (Timing and Injection rate Control System) SAE paper 940195
- Jones A G. Pilot injection device s in diesel fuel injection system. Proceeding of I.Mech.E. Conference on fuel injection system, 1992.
- Stockner A R, Flinn M A, Camplin F A. Development of HEUI fuel system - Integration of design, simulation, test, and manufacturing. SAE paper 930271
- Oblander K, Kollmann K, Kramer M, et al. The influence of high pressure fuel injection on performance and exhaust emissions of a high speed injection diesel engine. SAE paper 890438
- Minggao Y, Qilong L, et al. Study of injection control valve in a new electronic diesel fuel system. SAE paper 980813
- Mnggao Y, Sorenson S C. Direct digital control of the diesel fuel injection process. SAE paper 920626