This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermally Sprayed Coatings for Lightweight Brake Rotors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Thermal spray technology has been successfully applied to brake discs used in motorsport and road vehicles. This technology has helped to improve the performance and reduce the cost of braking systems.
A lightweight brake rotor has been developed based on a metal matrix composite (MMC) disc. Its surface is normalised by the application of a thermally sprayed coating that is compatible with current brake pad technology. This paper discusses optimisation of the spray material and sprayed coating
Coated MMC discs have been evaluated in extensive dynamometer and in-vehicle testing and these results are reported. The cost-effectiveness of coated lightweight brake discs has been an important consideration.
|Technical Paper||Effects of Disk Material Selection on Disk Brake Rotor Configuration|
|Technical Paper||Influence of Material Selection on Stresses in Ventilated Brake Discs|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Dynamometer Global Brake Effectiveness|
CitationHarrison, K. and Dorfman, M., "Thermally Sprayed Coatings for Lightweight Brake Rotors," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0139, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0139.
- Burnell-Gray J.S Datta P.K Surface Engineering Casebook 4 73 93 Woodhead Publishing Ltd UK 1996
- Mozolic J. Hard Chrome Plate Replacement Gorham Conference '97 Atlanta, GA 1997
- Calosso W.F Nicoll A.R Process Requirements for plasma sprayed coatings for internal combustion engine components Energy Sources Technology Conference Feb 15-20 1987 ASME paper 87-ICE-15
- Peterman T. Thermal Spray: International Advances in Coatings Technology Proc. ITSC Orlando, USA 1992 309 ASM Int. USA
- Nakagawa P.M Kawakami F. Kudoh T. Trends in Automotive Applications of Thermal Spray Technology in Japan Proc. NTSC Boston, USA 1994 1 ASM Int. USA
- Nicoll A.R Production Plasma Spraying in the Automotive Industry A European Viewpoint in Proc. NTSC Boston, USA 1994 1 ASM Int, USA
- Buch F.H Denholm M.J Dickerson W. Aluminium MMC Brake Rotors and Drums 14 th Annual SAE Colloquium October 13-16 th 1996