This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Handling with Tire Tread Separation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Catastrophic and sudden tire tread separation is an event that drivers of motor vehicles may encounter and, in some instances, is implicated as the cause of motor vehicle crashes and related injury or property damage. In an effort to understand how tire tread separation affects vehicle handling, a series of tread separation handling test programs were conducted. In each tread separation test program a sport utility vehicle was instrumented and equipped with steel belted radial tires that were modified to emulate tread separation between the inner and outer steel belts. The test vehicle was then subjected to a variety of open and closed loop handling test maneuvers. This paper presents the data and analysis from these tests. The research demonstrates through controlled experiments that a tire tread separation has an effect on the vehicle’s fundamental handling characteristics. It also demonstrates that the effect depends on the position of the compromised tire on the vehicle.
|Technical Paper||Vehicle Handling with Tire Tread Separation|
|Technical Paper||Force Response during Tire Tread Detachment Event|
|Technical Paper||Drag and Steering Effects from Tire Tread Belt Separation and Loss|
CitationDickerson, C., Arndt, M., and Arndt, S., "Vehicle Handling with Tire Tread Separation," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0120, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0120.
- Jacobson The Punctured Pneumatic Car Tire From The User’s Viewpoint, Fifth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles London, England June 4-7 1974
- Metz et. al. Evasive Maneuver Capability Without and In the Presence of a Flat Tire SAE Paper No. 942469
- Blythe Day Grimes 3-Dimensional Simulation of Vehicle Response to Tire Blow-Outs SAE Paper No. 980221
- Allen et. al. Vehicle Dynamic Stability and Rollover Department of Transportation September 1991
- Wong J.Y. Theory of Ground Vehicles John Wiley & Sons 1978
- Millikien W.F. Milliken D.L. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers 1995
- Dickerson Arndt Arndt Effects of Outrigger Design on Vehicle Dynamics SAE Paper No. 940226
- Vehicle Dynamics Terminology SAE J670e, Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA.