This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Understanding Vehicle Roll Using Mechanism Simulation Software
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Suspension roll centers are currently used to establish vehicle handling characteristics such as under-steer and feel. Roll centers were developed to help understand vehicle designs on paper. Computers and mechanism simulation software allows vehicle models to be built and analyzed. Analyzing forces and moments may be a better technique as opposed to modeling suspension roll centers. A proposed method is to look directly at forces applied to the vehicle body and moments resulting from the applied forces. This force-moment method includes the effects of load transfer and tread change, which are not accounted for by geometric roll centers.
|Technical Paper||Influence of Suspension Properties on Vehicle Roll Stability|
|Technical Paper||On the Maneuverability and Stability of Turf Work Trucks|
|Journal Article||Optimal Sensor Configuration and Fault-Tolerant Estimation of Vehicle States|
CitationJoness, R., "Understanding Vehicle Roll Using Mechanism Simulation Software," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0030, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0030.
- Puhn, Fred How To Make Your Car Handle. Tuscon, AZ H.P. Books 1981
- Smith, Carroll Prepare To Win. Fallbrook, CA Aero Publishers, Inc, 1975
- Smith, Carroll Tune To Win Fallbrook, CA Aero Publishers, Inc 1978
- Gillespie, Thomas D. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics. Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc, 1992
- William F Milliken Douglas L. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics. Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc, 1995
- Staniforth, Allan Competition Car Suspension: Design,Construction, Tuning. Somerset England Haynes Publishing Group 1988
- Crahan, Thomas C. Modeling Steady-State Suspension Kinematics and Vehicle Dynamics of Road Racing Cars SAE Paper 942505 1994
- Altair Engineering, Inc. SuspensionGen Users Manual Troy MI 1994
- StatDesign, Inc. Online Users Manual Dearborn MI 1996
- Mechanical Dynamics Inc. Adams Reference Manual Ann Arbor, MI 48105