Situational Awareness, Driver’s Trust in Automated Driving Systems and Secondary Task Performance
ISSN: 2574-0741, e-ISSN: 2574-075X
Published May 16, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Petersen, L., Robert, L., Yang, X., and Tilbury, D., "Situational Awareness, Driver’s Trust in Automated Driving Systems and Secondary Task Performance," SAE Intl. J CAV 2(2):129-141, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/12-02-02-0009.
- Alcázar, H., Martinez, J., Pantoja, L., Collazos, C. et al. , “Method for Incorporating Awareness Mechanisms in Driving Simulation Environments,” IEEE Latin America Transactions 12(1):36-41, 2014.
- Beller, J., Heesen, M., and Vollrath, M. , “Improving the Driver-Automation Interaction: An Approach Using Automation Uncertainty,” Human Factors 55(6):1130-1141, 2013.
- Billings, D., Schaefer, K., Llorens, N., and Hancock, P. , “What Is Trust? Defining the Construct Across Domains,” in Poster presented at the American Psychological Association Conference, Division 21, Orlando, FL, USA, 2012.
- Carsten, O., Lai, F.C.H., Barnard, Y., Jamson, A.H. et al. , “Control Task Substitution in Semiautomated Driving: Does it Matter What Aspects Are Automated?” Human Factors 54(5):747-761, 2012.
- Charalampous, K., Kostavelis, I., and Gasteratos, A. , “Recent Trends in Social Aware Robot Navigation: A Survey,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems 93:85-104, 2017.
- Durst, P.J., Goodin, C., Cummins, C., Gates, B., et al. , “A Real-Time, Interactive Simulation Environment for Unmanned Ground Vehicles: The Autonomous Navigation Virtual Environment Laboratory (ANVEL),” in Information and Computing Science (ICIC), 2012 Fifth International Conference on, 2012, 7-10.
- Endsley, M.R. , “Toward a Theory of Situation Awareness in Dynamic Systems,” Human Factors 37(1):32-64, 1995a.
- Endsley, M.R. , “Measurement of Situation Awareness in Dynamic Systems,” Human Factors 37:65-84, 1995b.
- Graf, C. and Krebs, M. , “Headlight Factors and Nighttime Vision: Final Report,” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1976.
- Gremillion, G.M., Metcalfe, J.S., Marathe, A.R., Paul, V.J., et al. , “Analysis of Trust in Autonomy for Convoy Operations.”in Micro- and Nanotechnology Sensors, Systems, and Applications VIII, 9836: 98361Z, May 2016.
- Helldin, T., Falkman, G., Riveiro, M., and Davidsson, S. , “Presenting System Uncertainty in Automotive UIS for Supporting Trust Calibration in Autonomous Driving,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications,October 2013, 210-217.
- Hergeth, S., Lorenz, L., Vilimek, R., and Krems, J.F. , “Keep Your Scanners Peeled: Gaze Behavior as a Measure of Automation Trust during Highly Automated Driving,” Human Factors 58(3):509-519, 2016.
- Heydarian, A., Carneiro, J.P., Gerber, D., Becerik-Gerber, B. et al. , “Immersive Virtual Environments Versus Physical Built Environments: A Benchmarking Study for Building Design and User-Built Environment Explorations,” Automation in Construction 54:116-126, 2015.
- Ho, G., Wheatley, D., and Scialfa, C. , “Age Differences in Trust and Reliance of a Medication Management System,” Interacting with Computers 17(6):690-710, 2005.
- Hoff, K.A. and Bashir, M. , “Trust in Automation: Integrating Empirical Evidence on Factors That Influence Trust,” Human Factors 57(3):407-434, 2015.
- International Organization for Standardization , “Road Vehicles-Ergonomic Aspects of Transport Information and Control Systems-Calibration Tasks for Methods Which Assess Driver Demand Due to the Use of In-vehicle Systems,” ISO/TS 14198: 2012, 2012.
- Hsieh, L., Seaman, S., and Young, R.A. , “Eye Glance Analysis of the Surrogate Tests for Driver Distraction,” in Proceedings of the Eighth International Driving Symposium on Human Factors in Driver Assessment, Training and Vehicle Design, 2015, 140-146.
- Lee, J.D. and See, K.A. , “Trust in Automation: Designing for Appropriate Reliance,” Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 46(1):50-80, 2004, doi:10.1518/hfes.126.96.36.199392.
- Lees, M. and Lee, J.D. , “The Influence of Distraction and Driving Context on Driver Response to Imperfect Collision Warning Systems,” Ergonomics 50(8):1264-1286, 2007.
- Ma, R. and Kaber, D.B. , “Situation Awareness and Workload in Driving While Using Adaptive Cruise Control and a Cell Phone,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 35(10):939-953, 2005.
- Maltz, M. and Shinar, D. , “Imperfect In-Vehicle Collision Avoidance Warning Systems Can Aid Drivers,” Human Factors 46(2):357-366, 2004.
- Mayer, R.C., Davis, J.H., and Schoorman, F.D. , “An Integrative Model of Organizational Trust,” Academy of Management Review 20(3):709-734, 1995.
- McBride, S.E., Rogers, W.A., and Fisk, A.D. , “Do Younger and Older Adults Differentially Depend on an Automated System?” Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting 54(2):175-179, 2010.
- Meehan, M., Insko, B., Whitton, M., and Brooks, F.P. Jr , “Physiological Measures of Presence in Stressful Virtual Environments,” in Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH '02), 2002, 645-652.
- Miller, D., Sun, A., and Wendy, J. , “Situation Awareness with Different Levels of Automation,” in Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC), 2014 IEEE International Conference on, October 2014, 688-693.
- Mueller, S.T. and Piper, B.J. , “The Psychology Experiment Building Language (PEBL) and PEBL Test Battery,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods 222:250-259, 2014.
- Muir, B.M. and Moray, N. , “Trust in Automation. Part II. Experimental Studies of Trust and Human Intervention in a Process Control Simulation,” Ergonomics 39(3):429-460, 1996.
- Nunnally, J.C. , Psychometric Theory Second Edition (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1978), 245.
- Parasuraman, R., Cosenzo, K.A., and De Visser, E. , “Adaptive Automation for Human Supervision of Multiple Uninhabited Vehicles: Effects on Change Detection, Situation Awareness, and Mental Workload,” Military Psychology 21(2):270, 2009.
- Petermeijer, S., Bazilinskyy, P., Bengler, K., and de Winter, J. , “Take-Over Again: Investigating Multimodal and Directional TORs to Get the Driver Back into the Loop,” Applied Ergonomics, 62:204-215, 2017.
- Rezvani, T., Driggs-Campbell, K., Dorsa, S., Shankar Sastry, S. et al. , “Towards Trustworthy Automation: User Interfaces that Convey Internal and External Awareness,” in Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2016 IEEE 19th International Conference on, November 2016, 682-688.
- Robert, L.P. , “Monitoring and Trust in Virtual Teams,” in Proceedings of the 19th ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing (CSCW '16), 2016, 245-259.
- Robert, L.P., Dennis, A., and Hung, Y.-T.C. , “Individual Swift Trust and Knowledge-Based Trust in Face-to-Face and Virtual Team Members,” Journal of Management Information Systems 26(2):241-279, 2009.
- SAE On-Road AV Standards Committee , “Taxonomy and Definitions for Terms Related to On-Road Motor Vehicle Automated Driving Systems,” SAE Standard J 3016, 2014, 1-16.
- Saleh, K., Hossny, M., and Nahavandi, S. ,“Towards Trusted Autonomous Vehicles from Vulnerable Road Users Perspective,” in Systems Conference (SysCon), 2017 Annual IEEE International, 2017, 1-7.
- Selcon, S.J. and Taylor, R.M. , “Evaluation of the SA Rating Technique (SART) as a Tool for Aircrew Systems Design,” in AGARD, SA in Aerospace Operations, 1990.
- Singh, I.L., Molloy, R., and Parasuraman, R. , “Automation-Induced ‘Complacency’: Development of the Complacency-Potential Rating Scale,” The International Journal of Aviation Psychology 3(2):111-122, 1993.
- Stockert, S., Richardson, N.T., and Lienkamp, M. , “Driving in an Increasingly Automated World-Approaches to Improve the Driver-Automation Interaction,” Procedia Manufacturing 3:2889-2896, 2015.
- Taylor, R.M. , Chapter 3: Situation Awareness Rating Technique (SART): The Development of a Tool for Aircrew Systems Design, SA in Aerospace Operations (Ft. Belvoir, VA,Defense Technical Information Center, 1990).
- Thayer, J.F., Åhsc, F., Fredrikson, M., Sollers, J.J. III et al. , “A Meta-Analysis of HRV and Neuroimaging Studies: Implications for HRV as a Marker of Stress and Health,” Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews 36(2):747-756, 2012.
- Thayer, J.F. and Lane, R.D. , “The Role of Vagal Function in the Risk for Cardiovascular Disease and Mortality,” Biological Psychology 74(2):224-242, 2007.
- Verberne, F., Ham, J., and Midden, C. , “Trust in Smart Systems: Sharing Driving Goals and Giving Information to Increase Trustworthiness and Acceptability of Smart Systems in Cars,” Human Factors 54(5):799-810, 2012.
- West, B.T., Welch, K.B., and Galecki, A.T. , Linear Mixed Models: A Practical Guide Using Statistical Software (New York: Chapman & Hall/CRC, 2007).
- Wickens, L. and Rice , “Chapter 11: Imperfect Reliability in Unmanned Air Vehicle Supervision and Control,” . In: Human-Robot Interactions in Future Military Operations. (2010).
- Wilson, T.D., Dunn, D.S., Kraft, D., and Lisle, D.J. , “Introspection, Attitude Change, and Attitude-Behavior Consistency: The Disruptive Effects of Explaining Why We Feel the Way We Do,” In: Advances in Experimental Social Psychology. Vol. 22. (Academic Press, 1989), 287-343.
- Xiong, H., Boyle, L.N., Moeckli, J., Dow, B.R. et al. , “Use Patterns among Early Adopters of Adaptive Cruise Control,” Human Factors 54(5):722-733, 2012.
- Yang, X.J., Unhelkar, V.V., and Shah, J.A. , “Evaluating Effects of User Experience and System Transparency on Trust in Automation,” in The 12th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI ’17), 2017, 408-416.