This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of the Injury Risks of Truck Occupants Involved in a Crash as a Result of Errant Truck Platoons
- Hanxiang Jin - Virginia Tech, USA ,
- Roshan Sharma - Texas A&M Transportation Institute, USA ,
- Yunzhu Meng - Virginia Tech, USA ,
- Alexandrina Untaroiu - Virginia Tech, USA ,
- Zachary Doerzaph - Virginia Tech, USA ,
- Chiara Silvestri Dobrovolny - Texas A&M Transportation Institute, USA ,
- Costin Daniel Untaroiu - Virginia Tech, USA
ISSN: 2327-5626, e-ISSN: 2327-5634
Published March 11, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Jin, H., Sharma, R., Meng, Y., Untaroiu, A. et al., "Evaluation of the Injury Risks of Truck Occupants Involved in a Crash as a Result of Errant Truck Platoons," SAE Int. J. Trans. Safety 8(1):5-18, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/09-08-01-0001.
- Schmidt, K.W. , “Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control for Vehicle Following during Lane Changes,” Ifac Papersonline 50(1):12582-12587, 2017.
- Bhoopalam, A.K., Agatz, N., and Zuidwijk, R. , “Planning of Truck Platoons: A Literature Review and Directions for Future Research,” Transportation Research Part B-Methodological 107:212-228, 2018.
- Kesting, A. et al. , “Adaptive Cruise Control Design for Active Congestion Avoidance,” Transportation Research Part C-Emerging Technologies 16(6):668-683, 2008.
- Adler, A., Miculescu, D., and Karaman, S. , “Optimal Policies for Platooning and Ride Sharing in Autonomy-enabled Transportation,” in Workshop on Algorithmic Foundations of Robotics (WAFR), 2016.
- Kikuchi, S., Uno, N., and Tanaka, M. , “Impacts of Shorter Perception-Reaction Time of Adapted Cruise Controlled Vehicles on Traffic Flow and Safety,” Journal of Transportation Engineering-ASCE 129(2):146-154, 2003.
- Li, Y. et al. , “Reducing the Risk of Rear-End Collisions with Infrastructure-to-Vehicle (I2V) Integration of Variable Speed Limit Control and Adaptive Cruise Control System,” Traffic Injury Prevention 17(6):597-603, 2016.
- Li, Y. et al. , “Evaluation of the Impacts of Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control on Reducing Rear-End Collision Risks on Freeways,” Accident Analysis and Prevention 98:87-95, 2017.
- Kilcarr, S. , “Driverless Trucks: Where They’ll Work, Where They Won’t,” https://about.uship.com/media-coverage/driverless-trucks-theyll-work-wont/, accessed Jan. 2020.
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) , Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware (MASH), Second Edition (Washington, D.C.: AASHTO, 2016).
- Rosenbaugh, S.K. et al. , “Development of the Manitoba Constrained-Width, Tall Wall Barrier,” Midwest Roadside Safety Facility, Lincoln, NE, 2016.
- Hallquist, J.O. , “LS-DYNA Keyword User’s Manual,” Livermore Software Technology Corporation, Livermore, CA, 2016.
- Murray, Y.D., Abu-Odeh, A., and Bligh, R. , “Evaluation of LS-Dyna Concrete Material Model 159,” https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/infrastructure/structures/05063/05063.pdf, accessed Jan. 2020.
- Polaxico, C. et al. , “Enhanced Finite Element Analysis Crash Model of Tractor-Trailers (Phase A),” National Transportation Research Center, Inc., University Transportation Center, Knoxville, TN, 2008.
- Polaxico, C. et al. , “Enhanced Finite Element Analysis Crash Model of Tractor-Trailers (Phase B),” National Transportation Research Center, Inc., University Transportation Center, Knoxville, TN, 2008.
- National Transportation Research Center Inc. , “Finite Element Models for Semitrailer Trucks,” National Transportation Research Center, Inc., University Transportation Center, Knoxville, TN.
- Putnam, J.B. et al. , “Finite Element Model of the THOR-NT Dummy under Vertical Impact Loading for Aerospace Injury Prediction: Model Evaluation and Sensitivity Analysis,” Journal of the American Helicopter Society 60(2):1-10, 2015.
- Dobrovolny, C.S. et al. , “Implications of Truck Platoons for Roadside and Vehicle Safety Hardware,” https://www.vtti.vt.edu/utc/safe-d/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/01-006_Final-Research-Report_Final.pdf, accessed Jan. 2020.
- Putnam, J.B. et al. , “Development and Evaluation of a Finite Element Model of the THOR for Occupant Protection of Spaceflight Crewmembers,” Accident Analysis & Prevention 82:244-256, 2015.
- Putnam, J.B., Somers, J.T., and Untaroiu, C.D. , “Development, Calibration, and Validation of a Head-Neck Complex of THOR Mod Kit Finite Element Model,” Traffic Injury Prevention 15(8):844-854, 2014.
- Mohan, P. et al. , “LSTC/NCAC Dummy Model Development,” in 11th International Ls-Dyna Users Conference, LSTC, editor, Dearborn, MI, 2010.
- Guha, S. , “LSTC_NCAC Hybrid III 50th Dummy Positioning & Post-Processing,” LSTC, Michigan, 2014.
- Untaroiu, C. et al. , “Evaluation of a Finite Element of the THOR-NT Dummy in Frontal Crash Environment,” in ESV Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, 2009.
- Bose, D. et al. , “Influence of Pre-Collision Occupant Parameters on Injury Outcome in a Frontal Collision,” Accident Analysis & Prevention 42(4):1398-1407, 2010.
- Krishnaswami, V.B. and Blower, D. , “Feasibility of Heavy Truck Occupant Protection Measures,” Michigan Transportation Research Institute, http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.912.8767&rep=rep1&type=pdf, accessed Jan. 2020.
- Hu, J. and Blower, D. , “Estimation of Seatbelt and Frontal Airbag Effectiveness in Trucks: U.S. and Chinese Perspectives,” UMTRI, Ann Arbor, MI, 2013.
- Woodrooffe, J. and Blower, D. , “Heavy Truck Crashworthiness: Injury Mechanisms and Countermeasures to Improve Occupant Safety,” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC, 2015.
- Dobrovolny, C. and Schulz, N. , “Development of a Simplified Finite Element Approach for Investigation of Heavy Truck Occupant Protection in Frontal Impacts and Rollover Scenarios,” in 14th International LS-DNA Users Conference, 2016.
- Dobrovolny, C.S. et al. , “A Base Study to Investigate Mash Conservativeness of Occupant Risk Evaluation,” in Proceedings of the Asme International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Phoenix, AZ, 2016, Vol. 12, 2017.
- Dobrovolny, C.S., Schulz, N., and Blower, D. , “Finite Element Approach to Identify the Potential of Improved Heavy-Truck Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection in Frontal Impacts,” Transportation Research Record 2584:77-87, 2016.
- Sharma, R. , “Finite Element Analysis of Truck Platoon Impact into Roadside Safety Barriers,” Master’s thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2018.
- Mao, H. et al. , “Development of a Finite Element Human Head Model Partially Validated with Thirty Five Experimental Cases,” J Biomech Eng 135(11):111002, 2013.
- DeWit, J.A. and Cronin, D.S. , “Cervical Spine Segment Finite Element Model for Traumatic Injury Prediction,” J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 10:138-150, 2012.
- Untaroiu, C.D., Yue, N., and Shin, J. , “A Finite Element Model of the Lower Limb for Simulating Automotive Impacts,” Ann Biomed Eng 41(3):513-526, 2013.
- Yue, N. and Untaroiu, C.D. , “A Numerical Investigation on the Variation in Hip Injury Tolerance with Occupant Posture during Frontal Collisions,” Traffic Inj Prev 15(5):513-522, 2014.
- Gennarelli, T.A. and Wodzin, E. , “AIS 2005: A Contemporary Injury Scale,” Injury 37(12):1083-1091, 2006.
- Takata Corporation , Advanced Adaptive Restraint Systems (Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2017).
- Yoganandan, N., Nahum, A.M., and Melvin, J.W. , Accidental Injury. Biomechanics and Prevention, Third Edition (Springer, 2015), ISBN: 978-1-4939-1732-7.