This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
GMAW Process Parameter Optimization to Reduce Porosity Defect in a Longitudinal Seam Welding of Pressure Vessels
- Journal Article
ISSN: 1946-3979, e-ISSN: 1946-3987
Published December 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Kuppusamy, A., Rameshkumar, K., Sumesh, A., and Premkumar, S., "GMAW Process Parameter Optimization to Reduce Porosity Defect in a Longitudinal Seam Welding of Pressure Vessels," SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 13(1):2020.
- Mouser, J.D. , Welding Codes, Standards, and Specifications, No. 671.52 M8672w Ej. 1 (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1998).
- Thielsch, H. , Defects and Failures in Pressure Vessels and Piping (New York: Reinhold, 1965).
- Praveen, P., Yarlagadda, P.K.D.V., and Kang, M.J. , “Advancements in Pulse Gas Metal Arc Welding,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 164:1113-1119, 2005.
- Palani, P.K. and Murugan, N. , “Selection of Parameters of Pulsed Current Gas Metal Arc Welding,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 172(1):1-10, 2006.
- Pal, K. and Pal, S.K. , “Effect of Pulse Parameters on Weld Quality in Pulsed Gas Metal Arc Welding: A Review,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 20(6):918-931, 2011.
- Dos Santos, E.B., Pistor, R., and Gerlich, A.P. , “Pulse Profile and Metal Transfer in Pulsed Gas Metal Arc Welding: Droplet Formation, Detachment and Velocity,” Science and Technology of Welding and Joining 22(7):627-641, 2017.
- Teker, T. and Kursun, T. , “Effect of the Manual (GMAW) and Pulsed (P-GMAW) Welding Processes on Impact Strength and Fracture Behaviour of AISI 304-AISI 1040 Dissimilar Steel Joints Fabricated by ASP316L Austenitic Stainless Steel Filler Metal,” Kovove Materialy-Metallic Materials 55(2):141-148, 2017.
- Kumar, A., Khurana, M.K., and Yadav, P.K. , “Optimization of Gas Metal Arc Welding Process Parameters,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 149, No. 1, 012002, IOP Publishing, 2016.
- Jeffus, L. , Welding: Principles and Applications (Scarborough, ON: Nelson Education, 2011).
- Dhas, J.E.R. and Dhas, S.J.H. , “A Review on Optimization of the Welding Process,” Procedia Engineering 38:544-554, 2012.
- Pal, K. and Pal, S.K. , “Soft Computing Methods Used for the Modelling and Optimisation of Gas Metal Arc Welding: A Review,” International Journal of Manufacturing Research 6(1):15-29, 2011.
- Kiaee, N. and Aghaie-Khafri, M. , “Optimization of Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Process by Response Surface Methodology,” Materials & Design 54:25-31, 2014.
- Vora, J.J., Abhishek, K., and Ramkumar, P.L. , “Different Methodologies for the Parametric Optimization of Welding Processes,” . In: Advances in Welding Technologies for Process Development, (Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2019), 55.
- Correia, D.S., Gonçalves, C.V., da Cunha Jr, S.S., and Ferraresi, V.A. , “Comparison between Genetic Algorithms and Response Surface Methodology in GMAW Welding Optimization,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 160(1):70-76, 2005.
- Sankar, B.V., Lawrence, I.D., and Jayabal, S. , “Experimental Study and Analysis of Weld Parameters by GRA on MIG Welding,” Materials Today: Proceedings 5(6):14309-14316, 2018.
- Wei, P.S. , “Thermal Science of Weld Bead Defects: A Review,” Journal of Heat Transfer 133(3):031005, 2011.
- Wei, E., Farson, D., Richardson, R., and Ludewig, H. , “Detection of Weld Surface Porosity by Statistical Analysis of Arc Current in Gas Metal Arc Welding,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes 3(1):50-59, 2001.
- Ramirez, J.E., Han, B., and Liu, S. , “Effect of Welding Variables and Solidification Substructure on Weld Metal Porosity,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 25(10):2285-2294, 1994.
- Li, D., Yang, D., Luo, X., and Zhang, G. , “Effects of Shielding Gas on GMAW of 10Ni5CrMoV HSLA Steel Using High Cr-Ni Austenitic Wire,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 259:116-125, 2018.
- Sumesh, A., Rameshkumar, K., Raja, A., Mohandas, K. et al. , “Establishing Correlation between Current and Voltage Signatures of the Arc and Weld Defects in GMAW Process,” Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering 42(11):4649-4665, 2017.
- Sumesh, A., Nair, B.B., Rameshkumar, K., Santhakumari, A. et al. , “Decision Tree Based Weld Defect Classification Using Current and Voltage Signatures in GMAW Process,” Materials Today: Proceedings 5(2):8354-8363, 2018.
- Thekkuden, D.T., Santhakumari, A., Sumesh, A., Mourad, A.H.I., and Rameshkumar, K. , “Instant Detection of Porosity in Gas Metal Arc Welding by Using Probability Density Distribution and Control Chart,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 95(9-12):4583-4606, 2018.
- Sumesh, A., Rameshkumar, K., Mohandas, K., and Babu, R.S. , “Use of Machine Learning Algorithms for Weld Quality Monitoring Using the Acoustic Signature,” Procedia Computer Science 50:316-322, 2015.
- Rooney, J.J. and Heuvel, L.N.V. , “Root Cause Analysis for Beginners,” Quality Progress 37(7):45-56, 2004.
- Box, G.E. and Wilson, K.B. , “On the Experimental Attainment of Optimum Conditions,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B (Methodological) 13(1):1-38, 1951.
- Ahn, H. , “Central Composite Design for the Experiments with Replicate Runs at Factorial and Axial Points,” . In: Industrial Engineering, Management Science and Applications 2015. (Berlin, Heidelberg, Springer, 2015), 969-979.