This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Time-Saving Methodology for Optimizing a Compression Ignition Engine to Reduce Fuel Consumption through Machine Learning
ISSN: 1946-3936, e-ISSN: 1946-3944
Published February 07, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Rahnama, P., Arab, M., and Reitz, R., "A Time-Saving Methodology for Optimizing a Compression Ignition Engine to Reduce Fuel Consumption through Machine Learning," SAE Int. J. Engines 13(2):267-288, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/03-13-02-0019.
- Navid, A., Khalilarya, S., and Abbasi, M. , “Diesel Engine Optimization with Multi-Objective Performance Characteristics by Non-Evolutionary Nelder-Mead Algorithm: Sobol Sequence and Latin Hypercube Sampling Methods Comparison in DoE Process,” Fuel 228:349-367, 2018.
- Shi, Y., Ge, H.-W., and Reitz, R.D. , Computational Optimization of Internal Combustion Engines (London: Springer-Verlag, 2011).
- Paykani, A., Kakaee, A.H., Rahnama, P., and Reitz, R.D. , “Effects of Diesel Injection Strategy on Natural Gas/Diesel Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition Combustion,” Energy 90:814-826, 2015.
- Gil, A., Pastor, J.V., Garcia, A., and Pachano, L. , “Combined CFD - PIV Methodology for the Characterization of Air Flow in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1769, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1769.
- Kozarac, D., Taritas, I., Sjeric, M., Krajnovic, J., and Sremec, M. , “The Optimization of the Dual Fuel Engine Injection Parameters by Using a Newly Developed Quasi-Dimensional Cycle Simulation Combustion Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0261, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0261.
- Mrzljak, V., Medica, V., and Bukovac, O. , “Volume Agglomeration Process in Quasi-Dimensional Direct Injection Diesel Engine Numerical Model,” Energy 115:658-667, 2016.
- Pandal, A., Payri, R., García-Oliver, J.M., and Pastor, J.M. , “Optimization of Spray Break-Up CFD Simulations by Combining Σ-Y Eulerian Atomization Model with a Response Surface Methodology under Diesel Engine-Like Conditions (ECN Spray a),” Computers and Fluids 156:9-20, 2017.
- Jurić, F., Petranović, Z., Vujanović, M., Katrašnik, T. et al. , “Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Injection Timing and Rail Pressure Impact on Combustion Characteristics of a Diesel Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 185:730-739, 2019.
- Pei, Y., Zhang, Y., Kumar, P., Traver, M. et al. , “CFD-Guided Heavy Duty Mixing-Controlled Combustion System Optimization with a Gasoline-Like Fuel,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 10(2):532-546, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0550.
- Benajes, J., Novella, R., Pastor, J.M., Hernández-López, A. et al. , “Optimization of the Combustion System of a Medium Duty Direct Injection Diesel Engine by Combining CFD Modeling with Experimental Validation,” Energy Conversion and Management 110:212-229, 2016.
- Ganji, P.R., Chintala, K.P., Raju, V.K., and Surapaneni, S.R. , “Parametric Study and Optimization Using RSM of DI Diesel Engine for Lower Emissions,” Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering 39:671-680, 2017.
- Benajes, J., Novella, R., Pastor, J.M., Hernández-López, A., and Kokjohn, S.L. , “Computational Optimization of the Combustion System of a Heavy Duty Direct Injection Diesel Engine Operating with Dimethyl-Ether,” Fuel 218:127-139, 2018.
- Lee, S., Jeon, J., and Park, S. , “Optimization of Combustion Chamber Geometry and Operating Conditions for Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Pre-Blended Gasoline-Diesel Fuel,” Energy Conversion and Management 126:638-648, 2016.
- Probst, D.M., Senecal, P.K., Qian, P.Z., Xu, M.X., and Leyde, B.P. , “Optimization and Uncertainty Analysis of a Diesel Engine Operating Point Using CFD,” in ASME 2016 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, October 9–12, 2016, Greenville, SC, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2016, V001T006A009-V001T006A009.
- Wu, Z., Rutland, C.J., and Han, Z. , “Numerical Optimization of Natural Gas and Diesel Dual-Fuel Combustion for a Heavy-Duty Engine Operated at a Medium Load,” International Journal of Engine Research 19:682-696, 2018.
- Donateo, T., Carlucci, A.P., Strafella, L., and Laforgia, D. , “Experimental Validation of a CFD Model and an Optimization Procedure for Dual Fuel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1314, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1314.
- Chen, Y. and Lv, L. , “The Multi-Objective Optimization of Combustion Chamber of DI Diesel Engine by NLPQL Algorithm,” Applied Thermal Engineering 73:1332-1339, 2014.
- Navid, A., Khalilarya, S., and Taghavifar, H. , “Comparing Multi-Objective Non-Evolutionary NLPQL and Evolutionary Genetic Algorithm Optimization of a DI Diesel Engine: DoE Estimation and Creating Surrogate Model,” Energy Conversion and Management 126:385-399, 2016.
- Uslu, S. and Celik, M.B. , “Prediction of Engine Emissions and Performance with Artificial Neural Networks in a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Using Diethyl Ether,” Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal 21:1194-1201, 2018.
- Sharma, A., Sharma, H., Sahoo, P., Tripathi, R., and Meher, L. , “ANN Based Modeling of Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engine Fuelled with Polanga Biodiesel at Different Injection Pressures,” International Energy Journal 15:57-72, 2016.
- Muralidharan, K. and Vasudevan, D. , “Applications of Artificial Neural Networks in Prediction of Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Variable Compression Ratio Engine Fuelled with Waste Cooking Oil Biodiesel,” Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering 37:915-928, 2015.
- Gürgen, S., Ünver, B., and Altın, İ. , “Prediction of Cyclic Variability in a Diesel Engine Fueled with N-Butanol and Diesel Fuel Blends Using Artificial Neural Network,” Renewable Energy 117:538-544, 2018.
- Richards, K., Senecal, P., and Pomraning, E. , CONVERGE (v2. 2.0) Manual (Madison, WI: Convergent Science, Inc., 2014).
- Dukowicz, J.K. , “A Particle-Fluid Numerical Model for Liquid Sprays,” Journal of Computational Physics 35:229-253, 1980.
- Beale, J.C. and Reitz, R.D. , “Modeling Spray Atomization with the Kelvin-Helmholtz/Rayleigh-Taylor Hybrid Model,” Atomization and Sprays 9:623-650, 1999.
- Schmidt, D.P. and Rutland, C. , “A New Droplet Collision Algorithm,” Journal of Computational Physics 164:62-80, 2000.
- Liu, A.B., Mather, D., Reitz, R.D. , “Modeling the Effects of Drop Drag and Breakup on Fuel Sprays,” DTIC Document, 1993.
- Ra, Y. and Reitz, R.D. , “A Vaporization Model for Discrete Multi-Component Fuel Sprays,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 35:101-117, 2009.
- Han, Z. and Reitz, R.D. , “Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines Using RNG κ-ε Models,” Combustion Science and Technology 106:267-295, 1995.
- Amsden, A.A., O’Rourke, P.J., and Butler, T.D. , “KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays,” Los Alamos National Laboratory Technical Report LA-11560-MS, 1989.
- Senecal, P.K., Richards, K.J., Pomraning, E., Yang, T. et al. , “A New Parallel Cut-Cell Cartesian CFD Code for Rapid Grid Generation Applied to In-Cylinder Diesel Engine Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0159, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0159.
- Raju, M., Wang, M., Dai, M., Piggott, W., and Flowers, D. , “Acceleration of Detailed Chemical Kinetics Using Multi-Zone Modeling for CFD in Internal Combustion Engine Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0135, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0135.
- Richards, K., Senecal, P.K., and Pomraning, E. , CONVERGE 2.4 Manual (Madison, WI: Convergent Science, 2017).
- Senecal, P., Pomraning, E., Richards, K., Briggs, T. et al. , “Multi-Dimensional Modeling of Direct-Injection Diesel Spray Liquid Length and Flame Lift-Off Length Using CFD and Parallel Detailed Chemistry,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1043, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1043.
- Namazian, M. and Heywood, J.B. , “Flow in the Piston-Cylinder-Ring Crevices of a Spark-Ignition Engine: Effect on Hydrocarbon Emissions, Efficiency and Power,” SAE Technical Paper 820088, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820088.
- Fridriksson, H., Sundén, B., Hajireza, S., and Tuner, M. , “CFD Investigation of Heat Transfer in a Diesel Engine with Diesel and PPC Combustion Modes,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1838, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1838.
- Tanin, K., Wickman, D., Montgomery, D., Das, S., and Reitz, R.D. , “The Influence of Boost Pressure on Emissions and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy-Duty Single-Cylinder DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0840, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0840.
- Montgomery, D.T. , “An Investigation into Optimization of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Operating Parameters When Using Multiple Injections and EGR, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2000.
- Senecal, P.K. , “Development of a Methodology for Internal Combustion Engine Design Using Multi-Dimensional Modeling with Validation through Experiments,” Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2000.
- Senecal, P., Pomraning, E., Richards, K., and Som, S. , “Grid-Convergent Spray Models for Internal Combustion Engine Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulations,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology 136:012204, 2014.
- Mitchell, T.M. , Machine Learning (New York: McGraw Hill, 2017).
- Nunes, I. and Da Silva, H.S. , Artificial Neural Networks: A Practical Course (Berlin: Springer International Publishing, 2018).
- Kakaee, A.-H., Rahnama, P., Paykani, A., and Mashadi, B. , “Combining Artificial Neural Network and Multi-Objective Optimization to Reduce a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Emissions and Fuel Consumption,” Journal of Central South University 22:4235-4245, 2015.
- Beale, M.H., Hagan, M.T., and Demuth, H.B. , “Neural Network Toolbox,” User’s Guide, MathWorks, 2, 2010, 77-81.
- Rahnama, P., Paykani, A., Bordbar, V., and Reitz, R.D. , “A Numerical Study of the Effects of Reformer Gas Composition on the Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Natural Gas/Diesel RCCI Engine Enriched with Reformer Gas,” Fuel 209:742-753, 2017.
- Rahnama, P., Paykani, A., and Reitz, R.D. , “A Numerical Study of the Effects of Using Hydrogen, Reformer Gas and Nitrogen on Combustion, Emissions and Load Limits of a Heavy Duty Natural Gas/Diesel RCCI Engine,” Applied Energy 193:182-198, 2017.
- Pétrowski A., Ben-Hamida S. , Evolutionary Algorithms (London, England: Wiley, 2017).
- Kramer, O. , Genetic Algorithm Essentials (Berlin: Springer International Publishing, 2017).
- Zhang, Q., Ogren, R.M., and Kong, S.C. , “A Comparative Study of Biodiesel Engine Performance Optimization Using Enhanced Hybrid PSO-GA and Basic GA,” Applied Energy 165:676-684, 2016.
- Zhao, J. and Xu, M. , “Fuel Economy Optimization of an Atkinson Cycle Engine Using Genetic Algorithm,” Applied Energy 105:335-348, 2013.
- Dec, J. and Yang, Y. , “Boosted HCCI for High Power without Engine Knock and with Ultra-Low NOx Emissions - using Conventional Gasoline,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):750-767, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1086.
- Moiz, A.A., Pal, P., Probst, D., Pei, Y. et al. , “A Machine Learning-Genetic Algorithm (ML-GA) Approach for Rapid Optimization Using High-Performance Computing,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 11:291-306, 2018.
- Farrell, J. , “Co-Optimization of Fuels and Engines,” National Renewable Energy Lab. (NREL), Golden, CO, 2016.
- Kavuri, C. and Kokjohn, S.L. , “Computational Optimization of a Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Combustion System Considering Performance at Multiple Modes Simultaneously,” Fuel 207:702-718, 2017.
- Klos, D. and Kokjohn, S.L. , “Investigation of the Sources of Combustion Instability in Low-Temperature Combustion Engines Using Response Surface Models,” International Journal of Engine Research 16:419-440, 2015.