This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stall Mitigation and Lift Enhancement of NACA 0012 with Triangle-Shaped Surface Protrusion at a Reynolds Number of 105
- Journal Article
ISSN: 1946-3855, e-ISSN: 1946-3901
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Bodavula, A., Yadav, R., and Guven, U., "Stall Mitigation and Lift Enhancement of NACA 0012 with Triangle-Shaped Surface Protrusion at a Reynolds Number of 105," SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 12(2):133-151, 2019.
- Lissaman, P.B.S. , “Low-Reynolds-Number Airfoils,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 15:223-223, 1983.
- Belhocine, A. , “Numerical Study of Heat Transfer in Fully Developed Laminar Flow Inside a Circular Tube,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 85:2681-2692, 2016, doi:10.1007/s00170-015-8104-0.
- Belhocine, A. and Abdullah, O.I. , “Similarity and Numerical Analysis of the Generalized Levèque Problem to Predict the Thermal Boundary Layer,” International Journal on Interactive Design and Manufacturing (IJIDeM) 12:1015-1025, 2018, doi:10.1007/s12008-017-0434-8.
- Belhocine, A. and Abdullah, O.I. , “Numerical Simulation of Thermally Developing Turbulent Flow Through a Cylindrical Tube,” International Journal on Interactive Design and Manufacturing (IJIDeM) 13:633-644, 2019, doi:10.1007/s12008-019-00537-y.
- Belhocine, A. and Omar, W.Z.W. , “An Analytical Method for Solving Exact Solutions of the Convective Heat Transfer in Fully Developed Laminar Flow through a Circular Tube,” Heat Transfer: Asian Research 46(8):1342-1353, 2017.
- Kinsey, T. and Dumas, G. , “Parametric Study of an Oscillating Airfoil in a Power-Extraction Regime,” AIAA Journal 46(6):1318-1330, 2008.
- Xiao, Q. and Zhu, Q. , “A Review on Flow Energy Harvesters Based on Flapping Foils,” Journal of Fluids and Structures 46:174-191, 2014.
- Cherubini, A., Papini, A., Vertechy, R., and Fontana, M. , “Airborne Wind Energy Systems: A Review of the Technologies,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 51:1461-1476, 2015.
- Argatov, I., Rautakorpi, P., and Silvennoinen, R. , “Estimation of the Mechanical Energy Output of the Kite Wind Generator,” Renewable Energy 34(6):1525-1532, 2009.
- Wang, D.A., Chiu, C.Y., and Pham, H.T. , “Electromagnetic Energy Harvesting from Vibrations Induced by Kármán Vortex Street,” Mechatronics 22:746-756, 2012.
- Rostami, A.B. and Armandei, M. , “Renewable Energy Harvesting by Vortex-Induced Motions: Review and Benchmarking of Technologies,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 70:193-214, 2017.
- Peng, Z. and Zhu, Q. , “Energy Harvesting Through Flow-Induced Oscillations of a Foil,” Physics of Fluids 21(12):123602, 2009.
- Kumar, S.K., Bose, C., Ali, S.F., Sarkar, S. et al. , “Investigations on a Vortex Induced Vibration Based Energy Harvester,” Applied Physics Letters 111(24):243903, 2017.
- Carmichael, B.H. , “Low Reynolds Number Airfoil,” Survey. vol. 1, NASA Report No. 165803, 1981.
- Lin, J.C.M. and Pauley, L.L. , “Low-Reynolds-Number Separation on an Airfoil,” AIAA Journal 34(8):1570-1577, 1996.
- Yarusevych, S., Sullivan, P.E., and Kawall, J.G. , “On Vortex Shedding from an Airfoil in Low Reynolds Number Flows,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 632:245-271, 2009.
- Rostami, A.B., Mobasheramini, M., and Fernandes, A.C. , “Strouhal Number of Flat and Flapped Plates at Moderate Reynolds Number and Different Angles of Attack: Experimental Data,” Acta Mechanica 230:333-349, 2018.
- Juanmian, L., Feng, G., and Can, H. , “Numerical Study of Separation on the Trailing Edge of a Symmetrical Airfoil at a Low Reynolds Number,” Chinese Journal of Aeronautics 26(4):918-925, 2013.
- Meara, M.M.O. and Muellert, T.J. , “Laminar Separation Bubble Characteristics on an Airfoil at Low Reynolds Numbers,” AIAA Journal 25(8):1033-1041, 1987.
- Huang, R.F. and Lin, C.L. , “Vortex Shedding and Shear-Layer Instability of Wing at Low Reynolds Number,” AIAA Journal 33:1398-1403, 1995.
- Kojima, R., Nonomura, T., Oyama, A., and Fujii, K. , “Large-Eddy Simulation of Low-Reynolds-Number Flow over Thick and Thin NACA Airfoils,” Journal of Aircraft 50(1):187-196, 2013.
- Yarusevych, S., Sullivan, P.E., and Kawall, J.G. , “Coherent Structures in an Airfoil Boundary Layer and Wake at Low Reynolds Numbers,” Physics of Fluids 18(4):44101, 2006.
- Marchman, J.F. and Werme, T.D. , “Clark-Y Airfoil Performance at Low Reynolds Numbers,” in AIAA 22nd Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, NV, January 9-12, 1984.
- Winslow, J., Otsuka, H., Govindarajan, B., and Chopra, I. , “Basic Understanding of Airfoil Characteristics at Low Reynolds Numbers (104 - 105),” Journal of Aircraft, 55(3):1050-1061, 2017.
- Villegas, A. and Diez, F.J. , “Effect of Vortex Shedding in Unsteady Aerodynamic Forces for a Low Reynolds Number Stationary Wing at Low Angle of Attack,” Journal of Fluid and Structures 64:138-148, 2016.
- Mueller, T.J., Batill, S.M., and Dame, N. , “Experimental Studies of the Laminar Separation Bubble on a Two-Dimensional Airfoil at Low Reynolds Numbers,” in AIAA 13th Fluid & Plasma Dynamics Conference, Snowmass, CO, July 14-16, 1980.
- Korkan, K.D., Cross, E.J., and Cornellj, C.C. , “Experimental Aerodynamic Characteristics of an NACA 0012 Airfoil with Simulated Ice,” Journal of Aircraft 22:130-134, 1985.
- Lee, S. and Bragg, M.B. , “Investigation of Factors Affecting Iced-Airfoil Aerodynamics,” Journal of Aircraft 40(3):499-508, 2003.
- Mirzaei, M., Ardekani, M.A., and Doosttalab, M. , “Numerical and Experimental Study of Flow Field Characteristics of an Iced Airfoil,” Aerospace Science and Technology 13(6):267-276, 2009.
- Zhang, Y., Igarashi, T., and Hu, H. , “Experimental Investigations on the Performance Degradation of a Low-Reynolds-Number Airfoil with Distributed Leading Edge Roughness,” in 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Orlando, FL, January 4-7, 2011.
- Hansen, K.L., Kelso, R.M., and Dally, B.B. , “Performance Variations of Leading-Edge Tubercles for Distinct Airfoil Profiles,” AIAA Journal 49(1):185-194, 2011.
- Peristy, L.H., Perez, R.E., Asghar, A., and Allan, W.D.E. , “Reynolds Number Effect of Leading Edge Tubercles on Airfoil Aerodynamics,” in 34th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, AIAA Aviation, Washington, DC, June 13-17, 2016.
- De Paula, A.A., Padilha, B.R.M., Meneghini, J.R., and Paulo, S. , “The Airfoil Thickness Effect on Wavy Leading Edge,” in 54th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, AIAA SciTech, San Diego, CA, January 4-8, 2016.
- Gross, A. and Fasel, H.F. , “Numerical Investigation of Passive Separation Control for an Airfoil at Low Reynolds Number Conditions,” AIAA Journal 51(7):1553-1565, 2013.
- Zhou, Y. and Wang, Z.J. , “Effects of Surface Roughness on Laminar Separation Bubble over a Wing at a Low-Reynolds Number,” in 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Orlando, FL, January 4-6, 2011.
- Bodavula, A., Guven, U., and Yadav, R. , “Numerical Analysis of Protrusion Effect over an Airfoil at Reynolds Number -105 ,” International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering 8(2), 2019.
- Menter, F.R. , “Two-Equation Eddy-Viscosity Turbulence Models for Engineering Applications,” AIAA Journal 32(8):1598-1605, 1994.
- Menter, F.R., Langtry, R.B., Likki, S.R., Suzen, Y.B. et al. , “A Correlation-Based Transition Model Using Local Variables: Part I - Model Formulation,” Turbo Expo 2004 4:57-67, 2004.
- Ohtake, T., Nakae, Y., and Motohashi, T. , “Nonlinearity of the Aerodynamic Characteristics of NACA0012 Aerofoil at Low Reynolds Numbers,” Journal of the Japan Society for Aeronautical Space Sciences 55:439-445, 2007.
- Counsil, J.N.N. and Goni Boulama, K. , “Low-Reynolds-Number Aerodynamic Performances of the NACA0012 and Selig-Donovan 7003 Airfoils,” Journal of Aircraft 50(1):204-216, 2013.