Enterprise Singapore has published a set of provisional national standards to guide the development and deployment of fully autonomous vehicles. Known as TR 68, Technical Reference 68 will promote the safe deployment of fully autonomous vehicles in Singapore, said a joint release from Enterprise Singapore (ESG), Land Transport Authority (LTA), Standards Development Organisation and the Singapore Standards Council (SSC).
An industry-led effort, four working groups comprising representatives from the AV industry, research institutions, institutes of higher learning and government agencies developed standards covering four key areas of AV deployment: vehicle behavior, vehicle functional safety, cybersecurity, and data formats.
As a provisional standard, TR 68 will continue to undergo refinement as AV technology matures, with feedback from the industry. The feedback gathered will be used to review TR 68 as it is eventually expanded to cover other aspects of AV development and deployment.
“In addition to safety, TR 68 provides a strong foundation that will ensure interoperability of data and cybersecurity that are necessary for the deployment of AVs in an urban environment. The TR 68 will also help to build up the AV ecosystem including startups and SMEs as well as Testing, Inspection and Certification service providers,” said Choy Sauw Kook, director-general at Enterprise Singapore.
According to a report from Channel News Asia, TR 68 may be the first such national standard in the world. The news outlet also reported that the Singapore government plans to introduce self-driving buses and shuttles in its Punggol, Tengah, and the Jurong Innovation District in 2022.
- Subscribe to SAE MOBILUS for access to more than 200,000 resources, including autonomous vehicle technical papers, eBooks, magazines, and videos.
- Bookmark SAE MOBILUS training for information about professional development and training opportunities.
- Bookmark SAE MOBILUS events to stay up to date with upcoming events about automated and connected vehicles.
- Bookmark SAE MOBILUS news to keep pace with the latest automated and connected vehicle news and information.
- Get connected and join the conversation about automated and connected vehicles at the Automated-Connected Wiki.
Mark Miller is a contributing writer to SAE International. He has worked as a technology writer and editor for IBM and other advanced information technology firms. His areas of concentration include artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, analytics and Internet of Things technologies.